Difference between: Roller nose and Sprocket nose?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fordtruckf100

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Could someone please explain to me the difference between a roller nose
and a sprocket nose? Thanks. Duane in VA.

A roller nose bar has a roller with a groove in it that the chain rides in. A sprocket nose bar is just that, it has a sprocket that the chain rides around.:cheers:

Also, the roller wheels are external to the bar, not internal like a sprocket bar. In other words, you actually see the two wheels on the end of the bar. I'd send you a picture, but I traded my bar off.

Mark

GB makes what they call a roller nose bar that looks and functions very similar to a sprocket nose bar. The difference is there are no teeth on the internal roller. This enables you to use any pitch of chain on the same bar with out switching tips.

Check this thread out. The first 2 posts explain more...

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=45983&highlight=GB

A roller has slightly less rolling resistance than a sprocket nose.In addition ,if for some reason it hangs up the chain will still go around.One reason they are prefered by saw racers.

Thanks.

Thanks. Pictures are truly worth a 1000 words. I love the pictures. I usually
look at this forum while at work during breaks. I love seeing the different
places, people and what people can do. For just a few moments l'm completely removed from the cares of this life and standing right there with
you while you are milling those fine logs. The internet and digital pictures
are awesome. You can go anywhere in the world with pictures.

Have a Great Day.

Thanks. Duane in VA.

Back