Difference between Semi and Full Chisel chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conifercaner

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all, i have only used semi chisel chain, i think it is a safety chain!!.

What is the difference between semi and full.

Is it a deeper cut or a more aggressive angle on the cutter?

What makes it more unsafe?

Help please

CC

Semi chisel chain is not all safety chain.

Safety chain has extra bumper links, dog ears, or some type of anti kick back.

Full chisel the cutter is a 90 degree top to side, semi is rounded and does not have the super sharp point.

Semi chisel non safety is good chain for dirt and stumps etc.

Full chisel is faster but the points knock of easy and dull easy in dirt etc.

Full chisel take more sharpening to get back to sharp if you knock the cutters down bad.

Just my opinion and I am not great at describing what I am thinking! Hope it helps.

If you look at your chain from the tip of your bar towards the powerhead, you'll notice the shape of the cutter.

Full chisel looks like this: 7

Semi chisel looks like this: ?

? looks like chipper chain but good explanation and I've probably just confused things :)

Full chisel is certainly more aggressive but there isn't as much in the cutting speed between full and semi as some people may realise. It can also allow less powerful saw to pull a longer bar with less effort. I find it smoother too but cut a lot of dirty hardwood so basically use nothing but semi chisel and the odd chipper chain anymore.

Another way:

Semi - filed with round file
Full - filed with square file.

I have run both. Full dulls down too fast for my taste and for the difference in speed, learning to sharpen it just isn't worth it.

Harry K

err, I think you'll find 90% of full chisel chain sold worldwide is round filed ;)

I think turnkey is confusing the semi chisel/full chisel chains with round ground full chisel and the square ground full chisel

Another way:

Semi - filed with round file
Full - filed with square file.

I have run both. Full dulls down too fast for my taste and for the difference in speed, learning to sharpen it just isn't worth it.

Harry K

I believe you may be thinking of square ground chisel there with a square file :) Like Rick said, most is round ground chisel.
I got hold of a loop of .404" Carlton Square today. Went OK in clean dry Redgum and held its edge better than I thought it would. Very clean wood though.

There is semi chisel, full chisel, and square ground chisel a totally diff bird!

In the UK the choice is pretty much restricted to semi chisel or full chisel in full comp round ground varieties.

I brought some loops of square ground full chisel semi skip back from Madsen's, but I've yet to try them.

If you look at your chain from the tip of your bar towards the powerhead, you'll notice the shape of the cutter.

Full chisel looks like this: 7

Semi chisel looks like this: ?

I agree on the 7, but not on the ? - that illustarates a chipper chain better than a semi-chisel.

Semi-chisel is more like a 7 with a rounded upper right corner.

I run semi-chisel chain most of the time due to the stuff I end up cutting. I have been pleased with Carlton chain which I buy from Bailey's under the Woodsman Pro label. I do not normally buy "safety" chain since I bore cut at times. Regular chisel, to me, is a blast when I get to cut a clean green tree instead of something like a large & long-dead black locust that is laying on the forest floor. I would suggest buying some loops of each style from a couple of different manufacturers and see which ones work the best for you and your conditions.:chainsaw:

? looks like chipper chain but good explanation and I've probably just confused things :)

I agree on the 7, but not on the ? - that illustarates a chipper chain better than a semi-chisel.

Semi-chisel is more like a 7 with a rounded upper right corner.

But I can't find that character on my keyboard. :cry: :)

I agree, it does look more like chipper.

Back