difference between semi chizle & full chizle not much ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MCCULLOCH 650/660 Baby!

100_3764.jpg

100_3762.jpg

photobucket-3443-1325100077547.jpg

The title of this thread gets me every time :biggrin:

Thazza daymie Macwizzle fo shizzle, you be gettin down wit full chizzle bazizzle sink it inna Tamarizzle up to the dizzle

On the subject of being white, did you not catch the fact that I and several others shaved our noggins?
Yep, I'm starting on a new set of sideburns. Can you stand the thought of such awesomeness?

No I didn't see that Randy. I haven't been on AS much lately :(
New sideburns? Godammit man, your aged frame surely can't produce hair of such awesomeness anymore? In fact I never actually knew that your totally rad and dandy sideburns left you.
Oh and apologies on the 660 comment. I thought you meant an MS660. You're not a pillow biter after all :D

Is this a fair comparison?

I'm a firm believer in using what works for you, but I do have a question about the vids. Why is it we're comparing a hand filed semi-chisel to an out of the box chisel?

I would think the better comparison is to hand file both, or test both out of the box. It seems to me you've got to account for hand-filing a chain somehow or other.

I'm a firm believer in using what works for you, but I do have a question about the vids. Why is it we're comparing a hand filed semi-chisel to an out of the box chisel?

I would think the better comparison is to hand file both, or test both out of the box. It seems to me you've got to account for hand-filing a chain somehow or other.

Here you go mate. I didn't want to hijack this thread with my own videos but this is a comparo I did a while ago now including genuine 3/8" chipper...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pZneA2f6how" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here you go mate. I didn't want to hijack this thread with my own videos but this is a comparo I did a while ago now including genuine 3/8" chipper...

thanks matt that just reinforce's the point even more any body who think's there whizbang chizle chain other than square filed of course cut HEAPS faster than what ever chain is dreaming, and heaps is the operative word here :popcorn::potstir:

Nice video. Times aside, what is your favorite of the bunch to run/use. A few looked pretty jumpy!

Philbert

To be honest I prefer the semi chisel. In softwoods full chisel chain is nice. Semi Chisel set up like that Stihl RMC chain in the video is OK on gutsy saws with shorter bars but bog city on longer bars :D If I was just limbing all day or crosscutting chains like that are fast and wear better than full chisel. Felling is a different story though and chains need to be setup a bit less aggressive than that ;) I've tried to run super aggressive chains while felling and even on grunty saws they are counter productive. They also make it difficult to borecut.

thanks matt that just reinforce's the point even more any body who think's there whizbang chizle chain other than square filed of course cut HEAPS faster than what ever chain is dreaming, and heaps is the operative word here :popcorn::potstir:

No worries mate. Technique will always outcut a fast chain and poor technique. If I was in clean, green conditions with a lot of softwoods I'd be running full chisel though without a doubt. Bring a bit of dirt into the equation or harder wood and longer bars and I'll pass. A 42" bar loaded with full chisel that needs twice as much sharpening as semi chisel always cuts into your day a fair bit :D Getting a point back on a full chisel cutter takes a lot more than just a few swipes of a file...

As everyone has said, well and as I have said but I am gonna say it again, you tailor yer chain to your cutting situation.

[video=youtube;X8uNt0CqU0c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8uNt0CqU0c[/video]

When you have hand ground semi chisel that can do this, then you can talk to me about how close they cut. Until then... I'll just have to settle for far slower cutting to avoid having to sharpen more often.

Last edited:
Is that super hard Australian hardwood or just a blunt chain?

:poke:

Thats what I was wondering? Thats a 90ishcc saw with a modest bar length, I'm not sure what the big whoop is on it? Its cutting wood, yes, but is that fast or what, the wood seems soft, I'm not sure if a Big Leaf Maple is a hard maple or a soft maple ...... looks like a soft maple.

There isn't anything to compare it too?

Sam

Thats what I was wondering? Thats a 90ishcc saw with a modest bar length, I'm not sure what the big whoop is on it? Its cutting wood, yes, but is that fast or what, the wood seems soft, I'm not sure if a Big Leaf Maple is a hard maple or a soft maple ...... looks like a soft maple.

There isn't anything to compare it too?

Sam

That's a 372xp with a 28" bar, and that saw is not ported. If you can't recognize that it's a 372xp with the amount of posts you have here on AS, I'm not so sure what there is to talk about ;)

I am unreservedly certain my 'hand ground' square grind will easily bury the OP's 'hand ground' semi chisel in ANY wood, even dirty wood(for at least one cut) ;)

In any case, if your semi chisel is only slightly slower, or even FASTER than your full chisel after you sharpen them, the problem isn't the chain...

I just spent the Christmas weekend falling, limbing, noodling, and bucking two Eucalyptus trees in an area that only gets 6-10" rain a year, with a single set of full chisel without sharpening it. Granted it was old Oregon full chisel, which is far harder than the stuff they sell now, but I saw no need for semi chisel and that wood was about as hard as it gets out west.

And here is a 40 year old saw easily out cutting the OP in some pretty hard Euc with that chain after it has already down and bucked and limbed the Eucs

[video=youtube;uv7EYpaUrZg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv7EYpaUrZg[/video]

Semi chisel out-cutting full chisel? Psh. I suggest save egde's for the OP as well ;)

Last edited:
Semi chisel out-cutting full chisel? Psh. I suggest save egde's for the OP as well ;)

Hey it's not a competition old son :) You shouldn't bring a race with the OP into it when he wasn't the one who stood on your toes. Semi chisel will outcut full chisel no worries in some of the wood I've cut. Full chisel won't last more than a few seconds without having the cutter points peened over. Sad but true and found that out the hard way. That's with less than 60° hook too :(

What do you call "slightly slower"? 10% faster is about as good as you'll get against semi chisel with round filed and that's in small wood too.

Last edited:
Hey it's not a competition old son :) You shouldn't bring a race with the OP into it when he wasn't the one who stood on your toes. Semi chisel will outcut full chisel no worries in some of the wood I've cut. Full chisel won't last more than a few seconds without having the cutter points peened over. Sad but true and found that out the hard way. That's with less than 60° hook too :(

What do you call "slightly slower"? 10% faster is about as good as you'll get against semi chisel with round filed and that's in small wood too.

The OP claims full is slower than semi. Not 10% faster - that was my 'beef' with the OP.

And here you are claiming your wood is so hard it will bend the tips over? They make chain out of aluminum in OZ? ;) I would like to suggest your tips are going blunt... how about that? ;)

No one is arguing semi stays sharper longer in any wood. But bending tips over? Please. And semi cutting FASTER than full chisel in one cut? Please. We're all adults here. Let's calm down and type some reason out.

Happy new year!

Last edited:
The OP claims full is slower than semi. Not 10% faster - that was my 'beef' with the OP.

don't put keys under my fingers I DID NOT claim full is slower than semi at all show me where i did what was typed was difference between semi chizle & full chizle not much ?? .

And here is a 40 year old saw easily out cutting the OP in some pretty hard Euc with that chain after it has already down and bucked and limbed the Eucs

if i said whats needed to be said i would be band for life.

your saw 70cc my saw 50cc and for your imfo i only use save edge file's

And here you are claiming your wood is so hard it will bend the tips over? They make chain out of aluminum in OZ? ;) I would like to suggest your tips are going blunt... how about that? ;)

No one is arguing semi stays sharper longer in any wood. But bending tips over? Please. And semi cutting FASTER than full chisel in one cut? Please. We're all adults here. Let's calm down and type some reason out.

Happy new year!

Yeah mate I am claiming that some of our timber bends the tips over on full chisel chain. Not only stuff I've sharpened but brand new full chisel out of the box. I've seen this happen on Stihl RSC, Oregon LGX, and Carlton LM. I'm not making it up either but take that as you will. I've cut wood (or tried to cut!) that if you smack two pieces together it sounds like you've hit two files together. That's not bragging but fact. I've seen loops of .404" semi chisel destroyed in one cut without touching any sand in some dead River Box (I've commented about that nightmare tree before :(). Full Chisel wouldn't have even gotten half way through before turning to smoke.
I'm not the only one who has seen or commented on this either.
Sam's comment alluded to the fact that the video really didn't back up your claim of "let's see semi chisel cut this fast!". If you put semi chisel on your 385 it would have pumped that 372 for sure in that wood.
Claims of which chain cuts faster should only be made with out of the box, stock chains. Sam can probably sharpen semi chisel well, you can probably sharpen full well, and other guys here are probably guns at square chain. Very few could claim to be experts at sharpening all chain. I'm certainly not one of those who claims to be a gun sharpener, that's for sure.

Latest posts

Back