Difference in crepe myrtles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rb_in_va

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The other day while on my way to a friend's house, I noticed a row of crepe myrtle trees along the road. Some trees were in full bloom. Others looked were hardly blooming at all. I wondered why some trees flourished and others just seemed to be surviving when they are side by side. It would seem that the trees all receive the same care. What would cause this difference in appearance?

When you find out, tell me. I have a row of mature ons along my driveway; this season they go from bloom to seed pod in a week.:mad:

Some people cut back the tops to produce more sprouts for more blossoms - in other words, topping - not ideal for plant health, but can produce a large number of flowers.

Sunset book mentions that method too, but initially recommended pruning limited to thinning the interior and spent flower stalks.

In GA, I saw the topping or pollard method used quite a bit. I'd prefer fewer flowers with proper pruning, to gain the feature of branch and bark characteristic when those get tall.

M.D.
All the trees like the same height. I can only assume that the differences are due to differences in care the trees have received. These crepe myrtles are on city property. If a two person crew managed these trees, and each person had different ideas on pruning, the trees would obviously get different treatment. And if the city rotated different crews to cover different areas there's no telling waht might have happened. I'm sure there's an infinite number of reasons for this to happen. I just wondered if someone had seen it happen and had a good explanation. Later, Roger.

They may not have been pruned at the same time.

Crapes that are pruned later spring bloom later,

than crapes that were not pruned or pruned in early spring

Back