Different STIHL MS 362C Cylinder Styles. Huh?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.Bird

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Happy Friday!

A while back, my boss gave me two 362s to rebuild and the parts to do it with. Some of you may have been following along as I stumbled my way through the first one. Update: It's finally all back together and IT RUNS! If you are one of the many who provided answers to my many questions along the way, thank you!!

Anyway... moving on... My boss provided me with two aftermarket cylinder assemblies made by Forester to complete the rebuilds with. (no need for OEM parts. The saws will probably only see light homeowner use once rebuilt.) I was going to launch into the second rebuild but realized that the cylinder on this saw is not the same as the one I just finished and does not match the replacement cylinder I have. Upon investigation, it seems that all the aftermarket replacement cylinder option available come only in that "flat" style and the only way to get a "slant fin" cylinder is to buy OEM. The picture below shows the replacement cylinder sitting on the saw I have yet to rebuild and the saw I completed in the background.

Any Ideas what my options are here? Any chance the cylinder that I have might work? One potential problem I see is things not lining up were the plug interfaces with the air guide shroud (also different), but I fear that the incompatibilities might go well beyond just that. Help!

IMG_2851.jpeg

Happy Friday!

A while back, my boss gave me two 362s to rebuild and the parts to do it with. Some of you may have been following along as I stumbled my way through the first one. Update: It's finally all back together and IT RUNS! If you are one of the many who provided answers to my many questions along the way, thank you!!

Anyway... moving on... My boss provided me with two aftermarket cylinder assemblies made by Forester to complete the rebuilds with. (no need for OEM parts. The saws will probably only see light homeowner use once rebuilt.) I was going to launch into the second rebuild but realized that the cylinder on this saw is not the same as the one I just finished and does not match the replacement cylinder I have. Upon investigation, it seems that all the aftermarket replacement cylinder option available come only in that "flat" style and the only way to get a "slant fin" cylinder is to buy OEM. The picture below shows the replacement cylinder sitting on the saw I have yet to rebuild and the saw I completed in the background.

Any Ideas what my options are here? Any chance the cylinder that I have might work? One potential problem I see is things not lining up were the plug interfaces with the air guide shroud (also different), but I fear that the incompatibilities might go well beyond just that. Help!

View attachment 972432
Buy aftermarket and this is what you get. Does the shroud fit on the saw with the cylinder already bolted up?

Buy aftermarket and this is what you get. Does the shroud fit on the saw with the cylinder already bolted up?
Are you suggesting trying to test fit the shroud on the front saw onto the saw in the background that I have already rebuild? Not a bad idea. Sounds like a lot of work, thought... :confused::confused::confused::D

Early vs late models. I’d try to clean up the original cylinder if possible
Yeah... I hope that's the answer. I have not yet fully investigated the damage, but i fear that I am going to find a scored cylinder.

That's not an aftermarket issue, he's got an early version cylinder for a later version saw.
Correct. So any idea why there doesn't seem to be an aftermarket option for the late model 362 cylinder? Is it just that no one has gotten around to it yet?

Correct. So any idea why there doesn't seem to be an aftermarket option for the late model 362 cylinder? Is it just that no one has gotten around to it yet?
I believe it’s because there’s still a patent on the new design. It’s still in production and the patent isn’t 7 years old yet

I believe it’s because there’s still a patent on the new design. It’s still in production and the patent isn’t 7 years old yet
Hey, Sorry to drag this one back up, but does anyone now when this cylinder design becomes 7 years old and aftermarket versions might start coming available?

Latest posts

Back