directional felling, to the inexperienced

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnL

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I always figured the lean of the tree would decide where it goes when cut. I can see to a degree how you can control the fall direction by making a hinge, but how reliable is this? if the lean is working to take it another way, like to the side, or back (back cut side), will the hinge still work that well,

john

Get D. Douglas Dent's book, Professional Timber Falling.

Heck, I'll wager my usual Book Bet to you. If you buy the book and don't think it's worth the money, you let me know. I'll buy it from you and pay for all shipping to boot.

When I read the book I started to see the mechanics of limb hinging too. Directional felling of limbs is a blast. Make 'em twist and spiral. Besides, its a great way to practice making face cuts and seeing what happens. I cut a lot more limb wood than trunks.

Tom

Dent's book is it; it would have saved me a lot of time, if it didn't take me so long to notice That the patterns for falling and bucking were the same, just rotated for the force to come at a different angle, and using the same strategy to deal with that force, adjusting for the different angle.

Dent's principles are so sound and pervassive that these fellar's techniques really work at all angles while climbing as Tom says; though written for felling by a logger from a long line of loggers.

Most trees/branches don't want to go the direction that you think is best; IMHO this book is the definitive book of record of handling those situations (that in fact predominate).

If it would help, i might have some drawings and pix to augment the views in Dent's book; if ya get stuck. The front cover shows a a man and saw facing (as if to salute) some hinge fibers standing tall on one side of the hinge. In this simple pic, tells the story of the whole book; how those stretched to shearing fibers on one side (opposite of lean)took a side leaner and laid'er straight. So the man, saw and fibers stand tall, over the feat they have just joined together to pull of safely; against the odds!

Back