Disgusting.Just plain disgusting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unlike most who use some crumpled newspapers and whole logs[/QUOTE]

Ooooohhhh.... so that's what I've been doing wrong.:monkey:

OK, I'm giving you the other side of the story. I have some wood cut up and laying behind the house. Not the best for firewood. They were Christmas trees gone wild and a hemlock. I cut a couple and a contractor cut a couple more. I bucked them up into firewood sized chunks and I piled and burned the limbs--by hand.

I don't have equipment other than a garden cart. I have one of those jobs where I'm picnicking in the woods most every day. I come home pretty tired and the last thing I want to do is pack chunks of not all that great firewood up the hill and across the yard and then split it. Split it by hand.

So, it lays there, I bring up a few pieces now and then...and so it goes. I've also got a wood pile to move into the newly remodeled woodshed, as I have found out the wood pile was on a spot that becomes quite wet 9 months out of the year.

In the back forty, farther from the woodshed, I've got chunks of a willow tree laying in a pile. I have been on this property for a year, there's still junk from previous owners to haul to the dump--took a load there yesterday. Sometimes it is overwhelming. I bought acreage to have some space. I knew it would be work, but nothing too urgent.

I don't want to spend every minute doing physical labor...I like to relax and do a few enjoyable things on the weekends. So the wood sits. It is my property, my wood and nobody else's business. It is not a fire hazard, I don't notice any vermin living in the willow pile, so it is not a health hazard. What would Clint Eastwood say? Get out of my yard? No offense, but that's the other side of the story. :cheers:

I need my mom, the English expert, for the "use of Lay Lie lecture again. Woodboogah, are you good at the rules of Lay Lie? :)

True, it's your property and wood and you can do what you want. But take no offense, I don't think that anyone would think it a shame that you are leaving Pine and Willow lay around; I think we are talking about seeing lots of excellent fuelwood laying around going to waste. Especially trees that we ask the owners about and are told "I'm going to use it for myself" and you drive by years later and it is now a mulch pile.

yea tell me about it.i know a lot of people that is like that and trust me it's driven me crazy knowing that such good wood is goin to waste and they won't use it or give it to some one that can use it.or they would pile it up in the yard or feild and burn it insted of given it to someone.

If the trees you cut are indeed white oak, were green when you dropped them, and left in the round, there is no possible way that they could ever be used this year for heating the house anyway.

Green oak takes 1 to 2 years to dry, even after being split. This year's high humidity summer with lots of clouds, rain, and not much breeze just makes the drying time even longer.

If the trees you cut are indeed white oak, were green when you dropped them, and left in the round, there is no possible way that they could ever be used this year for heating the house anyway.

Green oak takes 1 to 2 years to dry, even after being split. This year's high humidity summer with lots of clouds, rain, and not much breeze just makes the drying time even longer.

At the risk of starting a discussion....

I find that I can burn oak nicely within 4-6 months, especially when I stack it in towers rather than the traditional long wood stacks.

It is a shame when useable wood rots into the ground.

Seems like in this hurried up world we live in even good intentions get left behind for lack of time. That being said, I would prefer to give it away when I realized I wouldn't have time to utilize it myself.

It is a shame when good fuel goes to waste. I'm always seeing fuel...and by fuel I mean pine, poplar...what a lot of people consider poor fuel...going to waste. This country would be much more energy independent if we utilized this wasted fuel in clean burning EPA woodstoves and boilers!

Would homemade trash barrel stoves qualify?:monkey:

I only cut on weekends, and get way more good firewood than me and my friends can use, I continually try to get woodburners to come and help clean up for firewood, most of them will not. One guy I told about a very large locust only 2 doors away from him, replied, "Yea, just back your dump truck up to my front door and dump it" I said" if you help, I will," he sneared and walked away. My friends and family help me much, I'd let it rot before some deadbeat gets it. When someone really is in need of help, I alway try to make it work for them and me, but so many just don't want to work, I guess that's what welfare is for.
When you're cuttind trees for money, you don't need wasted time with firewood, it's much easier for me to haul it to the dump than make free firewood for some lazy @#$ guy, but I do hate to wast good fuel, when we're at war for fossil fuels.

One guy I told about a very large locust only 2 doors away from him, replied, "Yea, just back your dump truck up to my front door and dump it" I said" if you help, I will," he sneared and walked away.

Shoot, wish that would have been me. I'd have been all over that deal quicker than a duck on a Junebug!

True, it's your property and wood and you can do what you want. But take no offense, I don't think that anyone would think it a shame that you are leaving Pine and Willow lay around; I think we are talking about seeing lots of excellent fuelwood laying around going to waste. Especially trees that we ask the owners about and are told "I'm going to use it for myself" and you drive by years later and it is now a mulch pile.

In our area, most folks can get better wood. Hemlock and Noble Fir are not too much in demand for burning. If it rots, it adds nutrients to the ground.
Nobody can see it unless you go out and walk about in it.

Folks here are very picky about what they burn. There are no people driving around looking at yards to see if they can cut up whatever is down in the yard. After our wind storm last winter, most of the down trees went to the mill.

I just had a friend call and say they had maple down and to come and cut it up. I will go for that. It is much better than Christmas tree and hemlock. The willow may be used eventually for campfires.

Latest posts

Back