Disgusting.Just plain disgusting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neighbor up the road had a white oak at lest 30" through blow down about a year and half ago. Its right out in the open in his side yard, easy to get to. He mows around it and hasn't done nothing to it. I stopped by and asked him about cutting it up but he said he had was going to get an OWB and would need the wood. Still laying there in is yard rotting away and no wood burner in site. I got to cut in the woods and drag it out to the field edge to cut it up, never can find some like that just out and easy to get to.

I see it here too in Idaho. Guy down the road from me has some nice Tamarack just lying in the dirt still in rounds. It's been that way for a long time now. I was actually thinking of knocking on his door and "offer" to take away his slash pile for free. :hmm3grin2orange:

I cut wood 4-5 days a week, soon to be 5-6. When I cut I buck the trees into 4' lengths and finish em off to 16" size later at home. I guess I am also guilty of leaving rounds and logs on the ground, but typically it's only for about 2 days until it gets split.

What is happening is people have gotten so selfish they won't give something away they don't even want. I ask so often if ya want the wood and they always say it's for them or someone else. Maybe so, but I see an awfull lot of wood that is stacked nice, unsplit and rotting. Many think they want it until they find what goes into a pile of wood. I lend out anything I have to decent people. Today it was my Kubota 7510 tractor. Trailors, saws, tools, even my house is open if a friend is in town even if we are not. I always say, I don't own anything that Got can't take away. I have never been ripped off or cheated and never except a thanks. I just say "it's really not mine". I also notice people who won't give something away are very well off. I have never not had enough of anything I needed, it's supplied from God.

What is happening is people have gotten so selfish they won't give something away they don't even want. I ask so often if ya want the wood and they always say it's for them or someone else. Maybe so, but I see an awfull lot of wood that is stacked nice, unsplit and rotting. Many think they want it until they find what goes into a pile of wood. I lend out anything I have to decent people. Today it was my Kubota 7510 tractor. Trailors, saws, tools, even my house is open if a friend is in town even if we are not. I always say, I don't own anything that Got can't take away. I have never been ripped off or cheated and never except a thanks. I just say "it's really not mine". I also notice people who won't give something away are very well off. I have never not had enough of anything I needed, it's supplied from God.

Excellent post hookem, especially the last 1/3rd of it. Good on you my friend!!!

I agree Hookim, i try to be more like that but i admitt selfishness gets in the way sometimes, i am for from perfect. heck my log splitter is working for someone else right now.......

I really don't see that kind of procrastination up here. Could be the short summer...I dunno

See it all the time around here. See it driving around and saying to my wife "look at all of that good fuelwood going to waste" as I just shake my head in disbelief. But her answer to me is usually "some people just aren't into it like you are" and that's true. They also don't understand that wood is like food-you have to use it or else it eventually spoils (in this case it rots). They think that there is no rush; I'll get to it when (more like if) I get to it, and it ends up turning to mulch and they could care less.

Perhaps that elderly couple isn't able to split it and don't know what to do about it if they are older. But for most other capable people it's that dirty word that is spelled W-O-R-K...I often say at my job that I'd LOVE to get some of the lazy porkers that just sit on their fat asses and "play" all day on the Internet and telephone and get paid to do nothing out there with me haulin' wood and all that it entails they'd **** themselves. But I'm getting off-topic here; what I'm saying is some people are just plain lazy and scared of physical labor and once they realize how hard it is processing wood they just "forget about it".

Very frustrating, isn't it?

There are two homeowners (both retired) on the same road as our family lake cabin who stack wood and never use it. We've been hiking by one of those places since our family bought the place in 1983, and the original pile is of course rotted where it's stacked nicely between two living red pines. Now the guy just puts more fresh wood on top of the rotten stuff.

I think he's just composting very patiently. That sandy soil ain't worth much on its own. :D :D

The other guy has stacks and stacks of white birch cut and split and strung between trees, with covers over it. I've never once seen evidence that he's burned any of it. Probably 5 cords total.

We go through about 2 cords a year at the cabin, and it seems woodpile maintenance is neverending for us.

i delivered split firewood to a guy this afternoon who just bought himself a 22ton huskee splitter he showed me , i told him that i also sell un-split rounds as well for cheaper, now that he has the splitter, if he was interested, he said that it was much easier to just buy the wood already split from me and that he was going to use the 22ton splitter to re-split some of the already split pieces i sold him for kindling.:dizzy:
$20 maul would have done the job..although it was nice to hear someone that actually sounded like they had the concept of starting a fire though, unlike most who use some crumpled newspapers and whole logs

although it was nice to hear someone that actually sounded like they had the concept of starting a fire though, unlike most who use some crumpled newspapers and whole logs

My MIL does that.....she sits there for an hour filling the stove with paper ash trying to get a fire going and then asks me to do it....
I have showed her how to build a fire and she won't get it. She waits until it is cold in the house before trying to start a fire! I try to tell her that it takes time for it to start throwing heat....you need to get it going now. I dunno, just rambling I guess....

But for most other capable people it's that dirty word that is spelled W-O-R-K...I often say at my job that I'd LOVE to get some of the lazy porkers that just sit on their fat asses and "play" all day on the Internet and telephone and get paid to do nothing out there with me haulin' wood and all that it entails they'd **** themselves. But I'm getting off-topic here; what I'm saying is some people are just plain lazy and scared of physical labor and once they realize how hard it is processing wood they just "forget about it".

Very frustrating, isn't it?

Gonna get some rep for that one. Had me laughing there.

+1 to PA Woodsman.

I have many friends that say what I do is a piece of cake. Being in the woods, doing my own thing, etc.... I've taken two of them on two different occasions. Oh sure, it's neat and fun standing there watching the tree fall, looking at the scenery, breathing clean air, and pulling the tape so I can make cut lines, but then OH SH!T, I hear "we got to put those 4' long 12"-15" diameter logs in the trailer"? And oh by the way it takes about 100 of those logs to fill the trailer. Needless to say about 1/4 way through loading the trailer, both of the guys were sucking momma's tit sitting in the shade.

It is hard work, but if you take it slow, get used to it, and you don't have 25% body fat, after about 6 months it's not too bad.

Oh, I also cut around the 9000 foot elevation, yep, thinner air to suck into those fiery lungs.

I have whole logs 18 foot that have seasoned three years the sap wood is rotten but the heart is solid and burns great even if I cut and split and put right into stove. I usually let them dry but they have seasoned so long they dry super fast. I know its better to split them green but just sayin.

I have whole logs 18 foot that have seasoned three years the sap wood is rotten but the heart is solid and burns great even if I cut and split and put right into stove. I usually let them dry but they have seasoned so long they dry super fast. I know its better to split them green but just sayin.

I have split and seasoned wood for sale about fifteen cords and growing. It is so hot here I have been splitting in shorts with a sprinkler trained on my splitting area. I will be splitting tomorrow. I have 20 or so cords left to split:cheers: I was paid to bring it home I always end up with 20 or 25 cords from removals!

Last edited:
I've enjoyed reading this thread. I think a lot of it just comes down to the fact that an awful lot of people are just plain full of ****. "someday I'm gonna........." The story about the guy mowing around the fallen tree that he's saving for the stove he doesn't own yet? The guy is FOS!!

A friend just up the road had some trees dropped a while back. He cut up the small stuff for firewood, but the main trunk of a nice straight oak is still lying there. Another guy wanted to make a beam out of it, so he told him he could have it. The beam maker still hasn't showed up. Almost a year ago, the neighbor asked me if I could dice up the large log for firewood, (his saw is too small). Told him I'd be happy to, but he wanted to give the beam guy one last chance to take it, and of course got the "I still want it" crap. Tree's still laying on the ground. It won't be good for firewood, let alone a beam.

I've enjoyed reading this thread. I think a lot of it just comes down to the fact that an awful lot of people are just plain full of ****. "someday I'm gonna........." The story about the guy mowing around the fallen tree that he's saving for the stove he doesn't own yet? The guy is FOS!!

A friend just up the road had some trees dropped a while back. He cut up the small stuff for firewood, but the main trunk of a nice straight oak is still lying there. Another guy wanted to make a beam out of it, so he told him he could have it. The beam maker still hasn't showed up. Almost a year ago, the neighbor asked me if I could dice up the large log for firewood, (his saw is too small). Told him I'd be happy to, but he wanted to give the beam guy one last chance to take it, and of course got the "I still want it" crap. Tree's still laying on the ground. It won't be good for firewood, let alone a beam.

I don't think a year is going to hurt it for firewood. Hickory needs split green but oak can lay imo.

+1 to PA Woodsman.

I have many friends that say what I do is a piece of cake. Being in the woods, doing my own thing, etc.... I've taken two of them on two different occasions. Oh sure, it's neat and fun standing there watching the tree fall, looking at the scenery, breathing clean air, and pulling the tape so I can make cut lines, but then OH SH!T, I hear "we got to put those 4' long 12"-15" diameter logs in the trailer"? And oh by the way it takes about 100 of those logs to fill the trailer. Needless to say about 1/4 way through loading the trailer, both of the guys were sucking momma's tit sitting in the shade.

It is hard work, but if you take it slow, get used to it, and you don't have 25% body fat, after about 6 months it's not too bad.

Oh, I also cut around the 9000 foot elevation, yep, thinner air to suck into those fiery lungs.

Yup. You and PA Woodsman have hit the nail right on the head with your posts.

Some people just don't like physical labor and would rather be "working" behind a desk or in some other sedentary situation. The freedom and independance that firewood processing, for example, gives a person escapes them for some reason. Some folks just don't get it.

There are two homeowners (both retired) on the same road as our family lake cabin who stack wood and never use it. We've been hiking by one of those places since our family bought the place in 1983, and the original pile is of course rotted where it's stacked nicely between two living red pines. Now the guy just puts more fresh wood on top of the rotten stuff.

I think he's just composting very patiently. That sandy soil ain't worth much on its own. :D :D

The other guy has stacks and stacks of white birch cut and split and strung between trees, with covers over it. I've never once seen evidence that he's burned any of it. Probably 5 cords total.

We go through about 2 cords a year at the cabin, and it seems woodpile maintenance is neverending for us.

Composting or making a snow fence.. :) Seems like there is a lot of that going one lately. The sad part is, that old rotted wood infects their good trees.

Last edited:
OK, I'm giving you the other side of the story. I have some wood cut up and laying behind the house. Not the best for firewood. They were Christmas trees gone wild and a hemlock. I cut a couple and a contractor cut a couple more. I bucked them up into firewood sized chunks and I piled and burned the limbs--by hand.

I don't have equipment other than a garden cart. I have one of those jobs where I'm picnicking in the woods most every day. I come home pretty tired and the last thing I want to do is pack chunks of not all that great firewood up the hill and across the yard and then split it. Split it by hand.

So, it lays there, I bring up a few pieces now and then...and so it goes. I've also got a wood pile to move into the newly remodeled woodshed, as I have found out the wood pile was on a spot that becomes quite wet 9 months out of the year.

In the back forty, farther from the woodshed, I've got chunks of a willow tree laying in a pile. I have been on this property for a year, there's still junk from previous owners to haul to the dump--took a load there yesterday. Sometimes it is overwhelming. I bought acreage to have some space. I knew it would be work, but nothing too urgent.

I don't want to spend every minute doing physical labor...I like to relax and do a few enjoyable things on the weekends. So the wood sits. It is my property, my wood and nobody else's business. It is not a fire hazard, I don't notice any vermin living in the willow pile, so it is not a health hazard. What would Clint Eastwood say? Get out of my yard? No offense, but that's the other side of the story. :cheers:

I need my mom, the English expert, for the "use of Lay Lie lecture again. Woodboogah, are you good at the rules of Lay Lie? :)

+1 to PA Woodsman.

Right on. Some people are just L-A-Z-Y. Not all, but some. Most that I have to see at my work are, that's why I posted what I did. They get paid to sit and talk on the phone PERSONAL CALLS, nothing work-related, and play around most of the day on the Internet. And EAT- they are obsessed with food. If you want to get their attention you'd have to wear a pork chop around your neck...my first name is Les, and we used to have a woman worker who used to refer to them as "use, and the shipper's name", "useles(s)". And these blimps make more money than me and the other "grunt" workers so that really fires our cannons. But I'm really veering off-topic here...:monkey:

Latest posts

Back