DIY swing saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big daddio

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
anybody out there made their own swing saw? recovering from back surgery and getting tired of picking up slabs to convert to firewood. i know how creative home millers are. help.

So, what are you going to do with that big heavy slab that a swing mill leaves behind? (at ground level no less)

Every mill has slabs....unless you leave the bark on the lumber.

My back has issues too, so i saw the 4 slabs that come off the log into 4' lengths "before" i remove them off the mill... They are much lighter, and they stack into a nice 4'x4'x4' stack that i can use later, or sell as 1/2 cord...

Rob

So, what are you going to do with that big heavy slab that a swing mill leaves behind? (at ground level no less)

Every mill has slabs....unless you leave the bark on the lumber.

My back has issues too, so i saw the 4 slabs that come off the log into 4' lengths "before" i remove them off the mill... They are much lighter, and they stack into a nice 4'x4'x4' stack that i can use later, or sell as 1/2 cord...

Rob

I could be wrong but he is talking about a swing blade mill (see Lucas or Petersen mills) and they don't leave slabs but rather they leave dimensional lumber so all you are handling is a 2x8 or at most an 8x8, with the ability to cut a 8X16 if you need to.

I too would be interested in if anyone has built one.. I would love one but couldn't justify it so I would like to make one if it weren't too far over my head :p

i may have been misleading. around here some of the larger backyard mills have a roller table for boards and slabs to be offbeared from. some have a circular saw set up to swing by a handle to cut the slabs into short sections. the really trick ones have a conveyor that drops the pieces into a truck.

I could be wrong but he is talking about a swing blade mill (see Lucas or Petersen mills) and they don't leave slabs but rather they leave dimensional lumber so all you are handling is a 2x8 or at most an 8x8, with the ability to cut a 8X16 if you need to.

I too would be interested in if anyone has built one.. I would love one but couldn't justify it so I would like to make one if it weren't too far over my head :p

Swing mills aren't magic... ALL sawmills produce slabs!!

Here's one of the guys from Lucas, and what do you see in the picts.?

standard.jpg

big daddio,

What are you sawing with that you create slabs fast enough that you need a cut off saw??? For everything up to "production", a chainsaw works pretty good... If your back is so bad you can't run a small chainsaw, should you be doing anything around a mill??

I have issues with my back, and when it acts up, i have to look out the window at my mill... :cry:

Like i said before, you can saw the slabs while they lay on the cant, and it goes much faster than you think... I pull them off the end, and saw them right there... No lifting that way, and they aren't on the ground...

I use to use a "buck saw" that runs off my tractor, but it's too much moving of the slabs for one person to end up with firewood...

I have thought of putting rollers off the head end of my mill, to pull the slabs onto before sawing, but i just don't have that much production to need them...

Rob

i'll try that cutting the slabs as soon as they come off Rob. hopefully the back issue will be better by the end of this month [got to go back to the real job] i mostly cut small logs [10 to 20'' and free] and do a lot of edging to get the most out of them. that cut off saw of yours, does it have a stationary blade or does it swing or slide through the wood? thanks oh yeah, went and bought me one of those little husky saws at the hardware store, lot better than the 064 stihl for slab chopping

i'll try that cutting the slabs as soon as they come off Rob. hopefully the back issue will be better by the end of this month [got to go back to the real job] i mostly cut small logs [10 to 20'' and free] and do a lot of edging to get the most out of them. that cut off saw of yours, does it have a stationary blade or does it swing or slide through the wood? thanks oh yeah, went and bought me one of those little husky saws at the hardware store, lot better than the 064 stihl for slab chopping

Here it is... You move the wood into the saw blade,

standard.jpg

It works pretty good, but you still have to handle those slabs, and in the end, if your by yourself, it ends up being more work...

Rob

Here is another one, same principle, you put the slab or small log/limb on the "deck" of the thing and move the whole thing forward into the saw powered by the tractor... they are a little scary to work. OSHA would have a field day.
100_2936.jpg

Sorry Rob disagree. A Lucas mill can turn a log into 1 x 1" strips without cutting a single slab first. You can even do the same with a CS on a suitable rig.

So you substitute the word "edgeing" for the word "slab"? Big deal, who wants that?? And what about what's left on the ground when your done sawing??? I guess you can call that a "carcus" instead of a "slab"... No matter, someone has to lift it and deal with it, no matter what you call it...

I don't think any of my customers would be too happy if i sawed all there logs into 1" strips, or left the edges on... For some reason they seem to like bigger dimentions, and every tree i've ever seen needed some bark, or edge sawn off it to get to the "good stuff"...

Rob

So you substitute the word "edgeing" for the word "slab"? Big deal, who wants that?? And what about what's left on the ground when your done sawing??? I guess you can call that a "carcus" instead of a "slab"... No matter, someone has to lift it and deal with it, no matter what you call it...

I don't think any of my customers would be too happy if i sawed all there logs into 1" strips, or left the edges on... For some reason they seem to like bigger dimentions, and every tree i've ever seen needed some bark, or edge sawn off it to get to the "good stuff"...

Rob
From what you are saying it sounds like you have never seen one working.
With a swing mill there is no need ever have to pick up a "slab" or a large face cut like you do with a BS or CS mill and all the edges are cut of as strips as you go. If you can't work it out I can show you a diagram of a cutting sequence that shows this. I'd much rather be picking pieces of 4 x 2 and 8 x 1 by hand of a log, than handling slabs 12 - 18" x 2 or wider. Same with the edge strips (there are no large face cuts. You can even cut the "remaining carcass" into 2" wide strips when your are done. And as an added bonus is one does not need to turn cants.

With a swing mill there is no need ever have to pick up a "slab" or a large face cut like you do with a BS or CS mill and all the edges are cut of as strips as you go. If you can't work it out I can show you a diagram of a cutting sequence that shows this. I'd much rather be picking pieces of 4 x 2 and 8 x 1 by hand of a log, than handling slabs 12 - 18" x 2 or wider. Same with the edge strips (there are no large face cuts. You can even cut the "remaining carcass" into 2" wide strips when your are done. And as an added bonus is one does not need to turn cants.

This is exactly what I meant when I posted... I am glad I am not the only one who sees the huge advantages these mills have in dimensional lumber without a lot of heavy lifting and turning!

If i've never seen one work, who do you think took the above pict??? And why does that Lucas guy have slabs coming off his swingmill??? BTW, the Peterson guy just out of the pict. had slabs coming off his swinger too...

Here's a clue for you... i've seen several sizes, kinds, and brand of swing mills work, even some experimental models that flopped.... And the above guy has slabs coming off his mill, because he trying to saw for "grade"...

Call them what ever you want, (slab, edge or ??) but the outside of the tree will be on some of the boards, you have to deal with it somehow, just like he is in the above pict... Big or small, it will be there and you have to deal with it... Same with what's left of the log on the ground...

Next... If your not turning the cant, your not sawing the "best grade" of lumber possible out of the tree... Now, that's a fact!! You can't saw out what you can't see...

Turning a cant is very easy with my log turner, and it saves my back... It allows me to get those "money boards" out of the log!

Next, a band mill has more recovery... You can't get around that either...

And, how do you saw out 5/4 x 12's 14's or even wider lumber that my customers want out of there logs????? ooohhh, that's right, you have to turn the whole darn sawhead around!! (BTW, i can saw out 24" wide boards in one pass)

The only place a swinger has it over a bandmill on logs in the US, is the really "big" logs.... and 99% of us don't get many of those... When i do, i split it with a chainsaw, and still mill it with my bandmill...

One last point... Those slabs that your worried about? I cut them 4' long, and sell them for firewood, do you think anyone would buy all those skinny endgeings for firewood??? That means i'd loose even more profit out of the logs, and STILL have to deal with all those usless skinny pieces of wood that no one wants... And those slabs that come off a customers logs, they are pure profit!

There's a place for every kind of saw, but a swinger just isn't the right saw for 99% of what customers want here...

Rob

Last edited:
I'm with BobL here.

The thing with a swingblade is you can take of those outside slabs in small dimensioned pieces. It is usually quicker to slice them up into 6x2 type sizes, or whatever you use for firewood in those parts, on the mill and they are much easier to handle. If you are taking off edgings too skinny for firewood, thats because you have recovered more boards from the log, that has to be a good thing. You are left with a full width slab on the bottom of the log, but just slice that up with the chainsaw if it's too big to move easily.

Also you can Q-saw without having to move large quarters of a log.

Now I agree that no one mill suits every task, and swingblades are at their best taking dimension lumber off BIG logs. But they can handle smaller hardwood logs perfectly well, just like any other saw can.

Personally I think that the lack of log handling puts them above a manual band saw when cutting ANY log, but they are a little more expensive of course. I do admit I am biased too ;)

But for someone with a bad back the lighter slabs and easy log
handling might be more important than any other factor like board width and kerf etc.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian - I was hoping you'd chip in - you put the words together better than I could. I agree that on BIG logs they really shine - the bigger the log the greater proportion of timber they can recover.

Rob - I think I see the confusion. Slab to me means either a large (as in wide) face cut, or a piece spanning the whole width of a tree - the sorts of things Aggie cuts. That's what I'm talking about lifting, not the edging.

I'm with BobL here.

The thing with a swingblade is you can take of those outside slabs in small dimensioned pieces. It is usually quicker to slice them up into 6x2 type sizes, or whatever you use for firewood in those parts, on the mill and they are much easier to handle. If you are taking off edgings too skinny for firewood, thats because you have recovered more boards from the log, that has to be a good thing. You are left with a full width slab on the bottom of the log, but just slice that up with the chainsaw if it's too big to move easily.

Also you can Q-saw without having to move large quarters of a log.

Now I agree that no one mill suits every task, and swingblades are at their best taking dimension lumber off BIG logs. But they can handle smaller hardwood logs perfectly well, just like any other saw can.

Personally I think that the lack of log handling puts them above a manual band saw when cutting ANY log, but they are a little more expensive of course. I do admit I am biased too ;)

But for someone with a bad back the lighter slabs and easy log
handling might be more important than any other factor like board width and kerf etc.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian - I was hoping you'd chip in - you put the words together better than I could. I agree that on BIG logs they really shine - the bigger the log the greater proportion of timber they can recover.

Rob - I think I see the confusion. Slab to me means either a large (as in wide) face cut, or a piece spanning the whole width of a tree - the sorts of things Aggie cuts. That's what I'm talking about lifting, not the edging.

I have to agree it's not rocket science . Cheer's MM

i agree that the swing blade mills can make sawing a large log easier, all you got to do is sit the mill over the log, right? but to be frank, my wife and i saw one being demoed at a log show a few years back [peterson, i believe] and when the operator swung that blade up i was looking at how close it was to him. maybe i'm paranoid, i did have kids at home then, but my band mill doesn't look near as scary..........and i do end up with a lot of kindlin' instead of firewood from a lot of extreme edging.

You swingers aren't addressing some important points...

Wide boards! Most customers want wide boards.

The best grade of lumber from the log! This is very important, and you only get it from turning cants!

Multible beams from one log! i've been sawing quite a few 6x10 beams for a customer, out of his big pine logs.

No one here will buy "kindleing" for firewood! I sold (2) 4'x4'x4' stacks (that = one cord) last week to a guy with an outdoor woodstove. That's 80 bucks in MY pocket from a customers logs!!

You can't saw out "true" quartersawn lumber without turning the cant... not even on a swinger!

I'm not picking on swing blades, it's just a fact that they don't do the above well, or not at all. And, those things are what make money here in the US.

Lastly, that running back and forth bending over to pick up lumber is a lot harder on my back than turning a crank to turn logs... and if i get lazy, i can use my cordless drill to turn the winch.. lol

Gotta go now, i have an extra FREE 80 bucks spending money, burning a hole in my pocket.. lol lol

Have fun, with what ever you choose to saw with!!

Rob

I think its fair to say ALL mills make slabs// I try not to lift all of anything so I use this little pivot at the mill //I pull one end of slab or board on and pivot it to the ways or forks//
DSCN0515.jpg

here a hvy 16" board:
DSCF0015-2.jpg

here are slabs on the forks:
DSCF0006-2.jpg

Then to the slab pile:
DSCF0026.jpg

And then someone else pays me to come in and cut them and take them away :

DSCF0025-2.jpg

I think its fair to say ALL mills make slabs

This depends on the definition of the term "slab".

To my way of thinking this is a slab - ie an incompletely dimensioned piece of timber with original edges on two opposite sides. I may on the odd occasion call a wide and thick face cut a slab but usually only if you can extract more useful timber out of it.
attachment.php

As you yourself say this is a "board".
DSCF0015-2.jpg

And the timber stacked over to the RHS of this picture (can't see it all clearly but it looks like they still have bark edges both sides) are "slabs".
The ones on the forks are in my book too thin to be called slabs I call these face cuts.
DSCF0006-2.jpg

Slabs with the edges taken off them are in my book dimensioned timber or boards or planks.

You call this a slab pile - I would call it a pile of offcuts or firewood pile.
DSCF0026.jpg

With a swing mill one never need to cut (my definition) slabs, it cuts dimensioned timber or (my definition) offcuts.

Just semantics really but I guess we are on the other side of the planet. :)

:cheers:

Last edited:
Back