Do moisture meters work on firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ford's Lawncare

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Simple question here-Do moisture meters work for firewood? I know they work for milling purposes but does anyone use them for firewood? Let me know what you think. Thanks

Wood is wood, so yes.

But they are only accurate when the moisture is below about 30%

Cheers

Ian

Moisture meters work well with thin wood....... Its hard to say with an 5" to 6"
thick lumber or firewood, unless you buy longer probes. But you can cut a chunk out of the center weight it and put it in the oven at 220 degs then weight it every hour till its dry and get the dry weight then the wet weight then wet weight / dry weight -1 X 100 = MC.

Say the wet is 500 grams then the dry is 300 grams...

500/300=1.6 so -1 = .6 now X 100 so its 60%

:clap:

Thats what I was thinking, because I know thier designed for dimenional lumber. Those probes only stick in not more then 1/2" if I'm not mistaken. I guess maybe I'll get one and try it. If it dosen't work, oh well

Small memtion here is that you won't get much accuracy measuring the outside of the wood split or not, so I'd split a few pieces and do an immediate reading, this should give you a guesstimation/average/ ballpark.
Just a wee thought for the morning, off to da woodpile now.

:cheers:

Serge

Latest posts

Back