Do you get written permission to use neighbor's property?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear how you were screwed there . But I don't play those games and now with great phone cameras. , I will snapping pics of all things of concern to me

I use a real camera. http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5100.htm

Despite how good the pictures seem when you look at them on the smart-phone, there isn't too much comparison when you look at the pics side by side with a better camera. Resolution is important when you start looking at the cracks in the driveway.

Plus, a good SLR will enable you to take pictures that just cannot be done with a smart-phone. I happened to buy the Nikon D5000 because it lets me time/date stamp each photo; thereby fulfilling a contract obligation. Yeah, I know...you can photoshop that onto a picture. That isn't really taking pics within the intended purpose of the contract.

Last edited:
I use a real camera. http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5000.htm

Despite how good the pictures seem when you look at them on the smart-phone, there isn't too much comparison when you look at the pics side by side with a better camera. Resolution is important when you start looking at the cracks in the driveway.

Plus, a good SLR will enable you to take pictures that just cannot be done with a smart-phone. I happened to buy the Nikon D5000 because it lets me time/date stamp each photo; thereby fulfilling a contract obligation. Yeah, I know...you can photoshop that onto a picture. That isn't really taking pics within the intended purpose of the contract.

To be honest I do my best to avoid even waking on the neighbors yard , there are people that wait and prey upon any opportunity to stick it to someone. , last problem I had was a lady who watched me cut down a white pine from the window and then said the sawdust ruined her paint. ! I called the cops so fast her head spun ! She never pursued it past that . That was 5/6 years ago

CAuse I am not gonna argue , he settled her ass right down , until she could speak with some coherency , she thought that she was just gonna score a paint job , I told her I dont control the wind in international air space she literally flipped her weave !

.... people that use us know I am a very straight person , a hand shake is enough and a contract or stupid permission slip isn't needed

Correct.

Right up until the point where something dramatic happens and then you're in deep hoopla liable for any and all damages regardless of how firm their handshake was.

A person's word and a handshake should be the ultimate contract, but we are not in that world any longer.

protegere te

StihlRockin'

I take pics of everything, before, during and after. Anytime I go on a drive or over a walk, I document all cracks and blemishes. I try to do it with the tree in the back ground to prove it was before, then stand in the same spots to show after. Been down this road a couple times. Its never fun. People will always try and get over one someone or just want to cause problems because they having nothing else to do.

Years ago, was at my cousins house doing a removal. Was using my skid loader, was in his yard, not even close to his next door, crazy aas old lady. She came unglued, and was blocking the machine, wouldn't let us pass. Of course I wasn't going to run her over, as much as I wanted too. She called her daughter, daughter shows and she tried getting us just to stop, so it would not bother her mom! So then I have 2, screaming, trying to get us to stop. All the neighbors come out to see what the hell was going on, it was a nightmare. I had already called the cops and both where arrested for disorderly conduct. Some people are just freakin' crazy.

One of my friends decided to put his trifold brochures in plastic bags with a small pebble in them and have the drivers throw them in peoples driveways.
He got a lawsuit and he lost to a lady who claimed she ran over it and it bounced up and scratched her Mercedes...one of the used ones with big rims on it of course..

I suppose its a yes to getting written permission if you think it is pertinent after your assessment of the persons character or mentality. Problem is when you mention written permission it alarms people and then they are more likely to say no.

If you are using a crane always get a waiver signed!!!Always. Even from the homeowner you are working for.

Use best judgement on the homeowners character and stand there and make sure your guys don't f it up on this one I guess.....

I never do never had a problem really but I care about their yard and driveway more than the homeowner does them self.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I agree, avoid using their property if possible. I'd rather work a little harder and stay on my customer's property (who signed my contract) than expose myself to an additional human worth of bs...

Real easy to scare them off, but I like to get proof that the conversation happened.

Even if I could get them to sign some bulletproof waiver it would be almost useless if they come up with some stupid #### to sue me for.

Maybe just a basic permission slip would do me just fine.

It must be hard in the US with the bottom feeding lawyers winning massive payouts for putting footprints on a neighbours grass. In the UK, unless we were doing a contract for a government body or so with all the legal paperwork that entailed, it was mostly verbal and governed by common sense, the same as it has been for me so far in Oz. If we break it then we fix it and this has been fine, so far. My builder friend has had far more problems from idiotic wannabe developers than we have from tree owners and neighbours.

Soooo, what do you ask for proof of permission? A phone call from the neighbor, email from the neighbor, a sit down chitty chat? I always used to try to knock on the door and get them in person.
Then I got permission and took a crane in the neighbors lawn to take out two tall bone dead elms looming over the neighbor's roof. We laid out alturnamats and one mat got kinda squished into the ground. She flipped out and said se paid $6,000 to have the lawn installed. I had to pillow talk her into taking the wood. She thought she got the better end of the deal but it almost crashed into the side of the mountain.
Anyway, that illustrates that there needs to be something in WRITING.

Back