Do you work with a bunch of drunks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just quote DOT regulations, and put them on a random drug testing program.

I got fined $2000 by DOT for NOT drug testing someone before I hired them. When DOT decides to knock on your door, you had better be ready with daily vehicle log sheets, daily inspection sheets, "prior to employment" drug testing, and a certifiably random drug testing program that assures testing each man at a pre-determined number of times per year (I think it is once or twice per year).

They will smile and be friendly during the audit, telling you they are not there to generate fines. Then they fine you. BIG TIME.

live and let live

your company, your call, of course

but it does effect everyone differently, not every person who smokes pot at night while watching tv is a drug addict that neglects his children, or spends all his money on pot. generalizing and stereotyping is worse than assuming.

getting high all day while trying to work? thats stupid.. where is the fun in that, an hour later your all burnt out, draggin ass, wishing the day was over..
but waiting all day, busting ass, sweating, bleeding, for 8-10 hours.. im sure as hell gona come home and pack up the bong and relax. live and let live, lifes too short! :)

Last edited:
I didn't intend for this to become a drug-testing, anti-pot thread, but it seems to headed that way. Oh well, it's not a bad topic.

Even for the fellows that use the "bong at night" approach sensibly, that does not enable an employer to keep them at work. We are under federal regulation that absolutely requires drug testing. Pot cannot be excluded from that test, and you cannot cleanup for daytime testing only.

So pot is out for the man that wants to keep a job with a real company that operates like a real business. If you independent operators ever hope to take your road show to the next level and begin hiring regular employees that safely operate your fleet of trucks, then you too will be required to follow the rules.

DOT will even make you drug screen yourself.

I didn't intend for this to become a drug-testing, anti-pot thread, but it seems to headed that way. Oh well, it's not a bad topic.

Even for the fellows that use the "bong at night" approach sensibly, that does not enable an employer to keep them at work. We are under federal regulation that absolutely requires drug testing. Pot cannot be excluded from that test, and you cannot cleanup for daytime testing only.

So pot is out for the man that wants to keep a job with a real company that operates like a real business. If you independent operators ever hope to take your road show to the next level and begin hiring regular employees that safely operate your fleet of trucks, then you too will be required to follow the rules.

DOT will even make you drug screen yourself.

Ya well, we all know society is becoming more and more #####ified. lol.

I like my old school saying: "a treeman is a free man".

I work @ Bartlett Tree Experts here in Mass..

I actually like the fact that they drug screen people here..

I hate working with losers....Don't get me wrong I'll drink a few beers or 20 on the weekends but thats a different story..

I used to do irrigation and boy was my old boss a drunk...dude was hopeless..If he didn't have his 12 beers during the course of a work day he was an #######.

I work @ Bartlett Tree Experts here in Mass..

I actually like the fact that they drug screen people here..

I hate working with losers....Don't get me wrong I'll drink a few beers or 20 on the weekends but thats a different story..

I used to do irrigation and boy was my old boss a drunk...dude was hopeless..If he didn't have his 12 beers during the course of a work day he was an #######.

How the hell is 20 beers any better than 6 or seven tokes of weed a night??

Crackheads are the real problem out there!

How the hell is 20 beers any better than 6 or seven tokes of weed a night??

Crackheads are the real problem out there!

Pot don't bother me I think its stupid that its so scrutinized...I've seen some pretty sharp people on and off the weed during the work day.Doesn't bother me 1 bit.I also think it sucks pot stays in your system for 30 days..They need to change the tests so they can determine if you just burned a J...

But my old irrigation boss had to have his 12 pack starting in the morning around 7-8 and finish this work beers around 4 or 5..dude was a flaming everday boozebag....Very good @ irrigation though...

Pot don't bother me I think its stupid that its so scrutinized...I've seen some pretty sharp people on and off the weed during the work day.Doesn't bother me 1 bit.I also think it sucks pot stays in your system for 30 days..They need to change the tests so they can determine if you just burned a J...

But my old irrigation boss had to have his 12 pack starting in the morning around 7-8 and finish this work beers around 4 or 5..dude was a flaming everday boozebag....Very good @ irrigation though...

I've actually met people that would do coke even though they would preffer weed, just because of drug testing being mandatory at their job... tell me that makes any sense! :dizzy:

I've actually met people that would do coke even though they would preffer weed, just because of drug testing being mandatory at their job... tell me that makes any sense! :dizzy:

Its so sad..

weed -30 days
heroin- 3-4 days
crack-3-4
meth-3-4

worst drugs leave your system so fast..
Change the testing rules...
I have worked with crackheads in insulation...Very bad people..

would you rather have

This has really happened to me

crackhead,"can you pull the truck over"
me,"why,we running slow cause you didn't come in until 8:25"
crackhead,"I've been smoking crack all night and need to puke for a few seconds"
me,"ok"

few weeks later I left that trade F that place and those people.
I would rather give a pothead half my sandwich than loose my wallet to a Basehead..

truth.

Having hired LOTS of chemically dependent employees since 1982, here is my take on the different ways the drugs affect you. Of course I am referring to hard core abuse, not the occasional sample.

Alcohol: makes you unreliable to get to work, you work slower, and over the years it makes you stupid. Decent folks otherwise, although the drunks tend to be more emotional people with ego problems. When it is real bad, their desire to get back to the bottle will keep them from working late on a project or it will make them work fast and sloppy just to be done. Quitting time is project number one!

Pot: Lazy, don't care attitudes. Not real good attendance, 'cause they just don't care. The THC never quits coursing through their veins, and they don't seem to realize that they are affected all the time, not just when they are stoned. Usually reasonably easy going, they are also very abusive to equipment, because they JUST DON'T CARE. They are the VERY worst "bring your drug" to work people, they are also the hardest people to manage because they won't do what you tell them to do. Socially engaging, most of them try hard to be popular with co-workers, while at the same time letting you (the employer) know that they are socially rebellious. They are the most divisive, "us-against-them" employees you will hire.

Meth, in any number of permutations: These are the fireballs on the job! They will work fast and furious some of the time, and other times they are very down, both in production and temperament. They tend to have real social problems, and will disappear without answering the phone for days at a time. Getting quality work out of them just isn't going to happen, because they are either cranked up, tearing up equipment or property, or they are "down" and can't hardly bring themselves to do a good job. They also seem to be more inclined to having problems getting along with other folks at work. These folks will tell you anything, they are the worst liars going.

Cocaine, in any number of permutations: generally, these are the hardest people to detect on the job, unless they are really stretched out. When they are going on binges, they disappear like the meth heads. Generally, you can find them easiest because they are the guys that are always out of money on Monday morning. They tend to be thin, underfed, and generally less productive on the job because they don't eat right. (also a BIG problem with the meth-heads) The cocaine users really tend to binge the paycheck on the cocaine, and balance out the rest of their time getting drunk. These folks are usually pretty likeable, especially since they are always being extra polite so that you will loan them money, share cigarettes with them (I don't smoke, but I see it), or otherwise fill some need of theirs. They tend to be the more helpless guys on the job.

Heroin and other really bad stuff: these folks are generally so spooky and sunken eyed looking that you don't keep them around long enough to find out what they are really like. They are consumed by their multiple drug dependencies, and they look like it. I don't think I have had too many of them working for me.

I am fortunate that none of the guys on my crew do drugs. We are all older guys and have put the weed behind us. Me and my rope guy like to drink a little beer but it's a very rare occasion to find either one of us drunk. My other guy, the recovering alcoholic never drinks or uses anything else. There were two times that he fell off the wagon but the alcohol ravages him so bad he can't last but a week or so on the stuff.

I have went through several people too and you can find good dependable people if you try. They are going to be mostly the older guys. Maybe not as fast as the young guys but more dependable. It is very challenging to find someone under 30 who is not smoking weed. And personally, I could care less as long as they leave it at home.

My observations are much like yours PDQDL. However, that is when you are dealing with alcoholics and drug addicts. Which there are a lot of them out there but not all. I have had the guys who drink a couple of beers after work (which I am one of), eat supper, go to bed early and are ready to go the next morning. I call this group the adults.

I have also had the guys who like to go home, smoke a little weed, Play their video games that they tend to be addicted to, eat supper, go to bed early and are ready to go the next morning. I call this group adults as well.

As long as either one of these groups show up for work when I need them and do a good job I could care less what they do on their own time.

If I catch wind of anyone using meth, heroin or coke I will drop them like a hot potato. Very unreliable and dangerous. Not to mention they will usually steal everything that is not nailed down.

When someone starts letting their habits affect their job performance I will have a talk with them and if they don't tighten up I will get rid of them. But it's usually job attendance or poor performance that I get rid of them over.

I had to fight a guy to get him to leave my job site once when he came back from lunch drunk. And I have sent guys home before when I knew they had gotten high on the job. I have never used any kind of chemical substance or alcohol ever on the job and I will not put up with it out of my crew. I have worked with guys that smoke weed on the job but it wasn't my show and I had nothing to say about that. And I have nothing to say about how anyone else operates or runs their show. If you want to smoke on the job that's on you. Not happening on my crew though.

Last edited:
Having hired LOTS of chemically dependent employees since 1982, here is my take on the different ways the drugs affect you. Of course I am referring to hard core abuse, not the occasional sample.

Alcohol: makes you unreliable to get to work, you work slower, and over the years it makes you stupid. Decent folks otherwise, although the drunks tend to be more emotional people with ego problems. When it is real bad, their desire to get back to the bottle will keep them from working late on a project or it will make them work fast and sloppy just to be done. Quitting time is project number one!

Pot: Lazy, don't care attitudes. Not real good attendance, 'cause they just don't care. The THC never quits coursing through their veins, and they don't seem to realize that they are affected all the time, not just when they are stoned. Usually reasonably easy going, they are also very abusive to equipment, because they JUST DON'T CARE. They are the VERY worst "bring your drug" to work people, they are also the hardest people to manage because they won't do what you tell them to do. Socially engaging, most of them try hard to be popular with co-workers, while at the same time letting you (the employer) know that they are socially rebellious. They are the most divisive, "us-against-them" employees you will hire.

Meth, in any number of permutations: These are the fireballs on the job! They will work fast and furious some of the time, and other times they are very down, both in production and temperament. They tend to have real social problems, and will disappear without answering the phone for days at a time. Getting quality work out of them just isn't going to happen, because they are either cranked up, tearing up equipment or property, or they are "down" and can't hardly bring themselves to do a good job. They also seem to be more inclined to having problems getting along with other folks at work. These folks will tell you anything, they are the worst liars going.

Cocaine, in any number of permutations: generally, these are the hardest people to detect on the job, unless they are really stretched out. When they are going on binges, they disappear like the meth heads. Generally, you can find them easiest because they are the guys that are always out of money on Monday morning. They tend to be thin, underfed, and generally less productive on the job because they don't eat right. (also a BIG problem with the meth-heads) The cocaine users really tend to binge the paycheck on the cocaine, and balance out the rest of their time getting drunk. These folks are usually pretty likeable, especially since they are always being extra polite so that you will loan them money, share cigarettes with them (I don't smoke, but I see it), or otherwise fill some need of theirs. They tend to be the more helpless guys on the job.

Heroin and other really bad stuff: these folks are generally so spooky and sunken eyed looking that you don't keep them around long enough to find out what they are really like. They are consumed by their multiple drug dependencies, and they look like it. I don't think I have had too many of them working for me.

From the sounds of it..

you could write a great book!!!!

so which are the best?

boozebags?

One of the local tree service owners picked me up a few months back for a contract climb. I'd seen his crew and how they operate before...beat up equipment, no ppe, etc. I new this guy but had never personally worked for him. I'm not in his SUV 2 minutes when he asked if I smoke and lit up a joint. I told him no and quickly segued into a conversation about how no one but me uses my saws. I'm cool with stoners but for christ's sake, keep it off the job.

I don't care what people do on their own time but don't bring it or the residuals to work. Thats my time. Hung over, need to go to court, DTs, phone calls, no way on the job. Can't go full speed because you're hung over, go home. Don't need you and won't pay you. No tolerance. My dad was hard on me so it passes on. You want to drink hard, go ahead but in the morning, be prepared to work like you never went out or there will be hell to pay. Don't slow me down because you can't keep up.

What to do???

Man Pdqdl, you have quite the eye when it comes to spotting drug use! It's almost as if you copy and pasted that stuff off another website!

However, like I said earlier, maybe page 1 or 2, I think forcing a grown man to use that little gadget before you allow him to work is absurd. If you recognize that someone is hungover and needs to go home or drag brush all day, ask him if that's the case.

It sounds like if our industry regulated mandatory drug testing on ALL tree workers/arborists, there would be one hell of a workforce shortage...more than there already is.

I have no tolerance for drug abusers as well, and we have none at our place. Maybe a few guys smoke weed, I don't really know or care to be honest. Weed is one thing, hard drugs are in a whole different category. I suppose if I noticed someones work suffering from drug use, I'd do something about it.

My company has a strick drug policy and random tests quarterly. Most of the guys i work with are boozers but it seldomly affects there work they keep it at home. Ive worked with them all at different times i was subed to climb for a well known busniess years ago all hard core bikers great to work with but big cokers. The stoners were ok but a l i t t l e slow dude. I have a couple beers so im no saint but i learned along time ago you dont let it affect your job

Man Pdqdl, you have quite the eye when it comes to spotting drug use! It's almost as if you copy and pasted that stuff off another website!

However, like I said earlier, maybe page 1 or 2, I think forcing a grown man to use that little gadget before you allow him to work is absurd. If you recognize that someone is hungover and needs to go home or drag brush all day, ask him if that's the case.

It sounds like if our industry regulated mandatory drug testing on ALL tree workers/arborists, there would be one hell of a workforce shortage...more than there already is.

I have no tolerance for drug abusers as well, and we have none at our place. Maybe a few guys smoke weed, I don't really know or care to be honest. Weed is one thing, hard drugs are in a whole different category. I suppose if I noticed someones work suffering from drug use, I'd do something about it.

:clap: Damn good post!
Jeff

I don't think so.

By saying there would be a shortage in manpower if they had a drug and alchohol testing program, is that to say the industry is loaded with abusers?

Sounds pretty scary. :confused:

Latest posts

Back