Does anybody have a serious disease or affliction from arboriculture?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLCRL

Organic Demolitionist Expert
Reaction score
Have any nonsmokers gotten lung cancer from chainsaws, does moss or spores cause any human diseases, does breathing in saw dust do irreparable harm? Has anyone suffered blindness from being exposed saw dust and pollen on a daily basis? or some other malady from bird or animal excrement?

Well, go ask the White House or the EPA! All you are set to do is put 10,000 more Americans out of work. I hear that the Girl Scout Cookie Industry has the least amount of chemical and cancer related law suits.

I'm suffering a malady from excrement: this thread sounds like grist for litigation and smells like a sue-er.

I wanted to know if anybody ever contracted lung cancer from running small engines, or other ailments, maybe by sharing information you could help someone. I understand that everyone would rather judge those w/opposing views but I wanted to have a forum that may help industry professionals in the future.

Well, go ask the White House or the EPA! All you are set to do is put 10,000 more Americans out of work. I hear that the Girl Scout Cookie Industry has the least amount of chemical and cancer related law suits.
Not a fan of the EPA they made Stihl ruin the MS200T

I watched trucks and cars run down the road day in and day out spewing asbestos out of their clutches and brakes into every car full of kids, but the flooring industry had to stop making tile flooring because you might walk on it and scuff your heels. How the hell did we ever survive before the lawsuit???

Sigh....nobody in the entire history of humanity has ever contracted lung cancer from a chain saw or any other health issue from eating sawdust. It's never happened and if it ever did happen a single time...there would already be suppliers lobbying the govt to require us to wear some sort of mask that is magically and suddenly $1500 a person and has to be replaced every 3 months.

I watched trucks and cars run down the road day in and day out spewing asbestos out of their clutches and brakes into every car full of kids, but the flooring industry had to stop making tile flooring because you might walk on it and scuff your heels. How the hell did we ever survive before the lawsuit???
I agree great factories spewing pollution, but lets lean on small engines and make them change one the best climbing saws ever.

Sigh....nobody in the entire history of humanity has ever contracted lung cancer from a chain saw or any other health issue from eating sawdust. It's never happened and if it ever did happen a single time...there would already be suppliers lobbying the govt to require us to wear some sort of mask that is magically and suddenly $1500 a person and has to be replaced every 3 months.
Thank you, I've never been a smoker but I hack awfully bad sometimes, I was afraid that being in close proximity to small engines or something was affecting me, if anyone else would like to weigh in I'm interested to know.

I am guessing more than a few folks here may have contracted Lyme disease. It can be nasty sometimes, developing into a chronic condition.

Skin cancer would be another hazard but that's fairly preventable.

The random nature of cancer itself is going to- by far -outweigh any effect from inhaling exhaust from chainsaws.

I wanted to have a forum that may help industry professionals in the future.
1l.jpg

I wear a bandana over my face to keep sawdust out. real high tech. Learned it from Roy rogers.

Sure hope you're being sarcastic. If not, you're something else, man.

Have any nonsmokers gotten lung cancer from chainsaws, does moss or spores cause any human diseases, does breathing in saw dust do irreparable harm? Has anyone suffered blindness from being exposed saw dust and pollen on a daily basis? or some other malady from bird or animal excrement?

Don't expect much help, on this. The guys in here will deride you and put all kinds of nonsensical replies up. Yes, there are health issues involved with our business. Yes, inhaling chainsaw exhaust, when the saw is running a few inches from your face and/or prevailing winds are blasting you with that exhaust, will certainly up your chances of developing lung cancer. Yes, there are spores from fungal pathogens that can grow on bird excrement that, when aerolsolized, can, in fact, cause diseases in humans. Only within the past year was there an article about this happening in the northwest. Yes, sawdust, if inhaled, daily, can increase your chances of developing pulmonary problems.

The above being said, we are in a business where we daily face certain death, if we get careless. We work with the largest living organisms on this planet, bar none. We don't worry about the preceding to the extent where we want to get out of the business. Tree sap flows in our veins.

If you're worried about exhaust, you can wear a mask. It won't block everything, but it can help, a bit. Same goes for inhalation of sawdust and spores. I keep my mask below my chin, on its strap, until I"m cutting. You'll need a great anti-fog spray for your goggles, though, as the mask will kick your breath into your goggles, even with exhalation valves. Wear long sleeves, always, to lessen your chances of melanomas. I wear second-hand store long sleeve white shirts, always. I pay about two dollars for them. They get tossed when they're totaled. Wear a sun shield on your helmet to protect your neck, even if it's cold out. Wear gloves. Use canola oil as your bar oil. I've been using it for over twenty years. No big deal, and it cuts out the smoking emissions from (possibly) more carcinogenic bar oils they sell in hardware stores.

You can up your PPE as you see fit. I've been in this game for a long time. At 62, and still climbing, I've done what I feel is best for me. You may see things differently. I have chronic arthritis in my hips that radiates out to my whole lower body, but it goes away, completely, when I climb. I love the work, and I won't stop until I'm ready to pass into whatever new reality or nothingness awaits me, later. If you're too worried about the tree biz, get out of it. That's about it.

Latest posts

Back