Does anybody run circular mills here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am getting a "M" model I think; looks like an "M" model anyway. I will settle up with the owner at the end of the week. I plan on constructing the wood leg stands and wood frame (doubled up 2X10s). Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and have a blessed evening.

Trever

That's a project! Thanks for the pics. What do you plan to power it with?

That's a project! Thanks for the pics. What do you plan to power it with?

I hadn't decided yet. Whatever I can find that is governed. Looking for tractor or generator motors 45-80 HP. Would really like to find a diesel in that power range.

It's a project alright. It will be fun and I am not in any hurry.

Trever

Good idea. I will when I start moving it. I will move it a little at a time. The owner is in no hurry, but I do want to get it out of his hair soon. More to follow hopefully Friday and Saturday. Have a blessed day.

Trever

It's good to hear you are out there, sit here with my 336 Moline that should have been an M5 and wonder WTF.....you got a 088 Stihl on your mill?

Funny,

What circs out there can cut a 56" slab?

56" blade / 2 = 28"
so....
28" < 56"

Wait how bout this circ blade........60"

60" /2 = 30"
so....
30"<56"

hmm.....

circular mills and chainsaw mills are two completely different animals.cost is another big factor. portibility and log size are two more.alot of logs i mill are under 20",over kill for a circular mill set-up,just right for a 143 and an alaskan.

farmer down the road had a big circular mill set-up runs it off an old stream tractor .used to have a big display every year,but shut it down.

Yes...yes... Chainsaw boys are simply a different breed.:cheers:

36" or less is cute... Go big or go home baby.

Funny,

What circs out there can cut a 56" slab?

56" blade / 2 = 28"
so....
28" < 56"

Wait how bout this circ blade........60"

60" /2 = 30"
so....
30"<56"

hmm.....

Yes...yes... Chainsaw boys are simply a different breed.:cheers:

36" or less is cute... Go big or go home baby.

How you think they did it back in the day? You run a top blade, thats how. Now you can cut that 80", because once you get through the first time it gets smaller quick.

Chainsaws are great if thats what you got. It ain't ever keeping up to a circular mill.

I have seen some circs run and man they push out the board foot, no denying that. And the same for the vertical band mills. I have a big walnut company here across the river and they run a vertical band. I have never seen so much wood in my life. The logs that contain steel they rail down to Missouri for the circular. Thats one of the best things about circulars too. Cut through about anything where a chainsaw mill is game over. But the nice wide flitch slabs sometimes make up for it.

Midwest Walnut - Producers of Fine American Hardwoods

How you think they did it back in the day? You run a top blade, thats how. Now you can cut that 80", because once you get through the first time it gets smaller quick.

Chainsaws are great if thats what you got. It ain't ever keeping up to a circular mill.

When we were running the Belsaw I ripped a slab off with a chainsaw the circle wouldn't clear on a few occasions.

Good idea. I will when I start moving it. I will move it a little at a time. The owner is in no hurry, but I do want to get it out of his hair soon. More to follow hopefully Friday and Saturday. Have a blessed day.

Trever

Do you know how long that mill sat waiting for you? I would guess in the decades. Good luck and happy tinkering.

Do you know how long that mill sat waiting for you? I would guess in the decades. Good luck and happy tinkering.

About 15-20 years since it was last used.

Update. I am now a proud owner of an old Detroit 4-53 (non-turbo). I will go get it this Friday and I will have to go through it.

Trever

About 15-20 years since it was last used.

Update. I am now a proud owner of an old Detroit 4-53 (non-turbo). I will go get it this Friday and I will have to go through it.

Trever

You may be the first proud owner of a 4-53.

Top saw will probably be a future addition.

Trever

BAck to the Belsaw

Hopefully will have some more progress on the M14 on Monday and Tuesday. I plan on taking it apart both days after I get off work. Have a blessed evening and rest of the weekend.

Trever

I like Detroits. What's that thing turn WOT, 1800 rpms or so?

I like Detroits. What's that thing turn WOT, 1800 rpms or so?

The 2 strokes really like run over 2,000 rpm. I will hold this one back to 1800- 2000 rpm. Peak torque on the 4-53 is around 1900- 2000 rpm. I'll see once I rebuild it.
We still have its big brother in the Army, the 8V92. I supervise a Field Maintenance Shop in the TN Army National Guard.
We still use it in the HETs and older HEMMTs. I support the HEMMTs at my shop.

Send me an email and I will try to send you the latest Detroit Series 53 service manual. I think its over 1,000 pages if I remember right.
[email protected]

Hope you have a blessed Sunday. I encourage you to attend a Bible believing, Bible teaching church this morning that loves Jesus.
Giving God your life (born again) is the only thing that matters in this world. Be blessed.

Trever

Latest posts

Back