Does anyone else have a soft spot for a 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I think my 026 has a soft spot for me. It seems to be located somewhere around the clutch-side crank seal. Every time I turn the saw 90 degrees CCW, the idle dies. Kinda tough to tune into a decent idle, too.

Other than that, I do like its size & the way it feels. If this one doesn't turn out to be a keeper, I'll probably still get another.

Any time you turn a saw on its sides and it loses power, its almost always the 'seals'. If you have not replaced these on an 026, do a search here on AS for advice. You can do it if you know the steps and technique. And it can be done without special tools; I've done several without a hitch.

certainly not bashing "pro saws"

but my first Stihl was an 025..I could stand on the saw with a 16" bar..I used that saw like a rental car..never let me down..sold it to a co-worker and he uses it today. got an 026 from a neighbor..replaced rings..sold it to another co-worker...he still uses it today. I guess the point of my story..Stihl is Stihl.. treat em right..if you sell one..take the time to educate the owner..Stihl will last as long as they want them too..

I flipped one...

got lucky on a 026 find.. .didn't know much about them other than they retail for $600.

had a guy wanting a smaller saw to replace a tired 635Jred, so I packed up some and went to his place to cut...

he fell for the 026.. Snappy just doesn't quite do it justice. I tried to get it back by giving him a great deal, but NO WAY!

so I went and scrounged 5 more, to build into 2-3 nice runners. hope to get my money out of them is all! Keep a good 'un for myself.

I'm just having real trouble getting info on the different ones out there... IPL and WM are no help.

Back