Doe's anyone have free bandsaw plan's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matildasmate

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: Hi everyone Doe's anyone have a free set , of good step by step bandsaw plan's , that they are willing to share . It would be most appreciated by me and many other's . Thank's Cheer's MM

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: Hi everyone Doe's anyone have a free set , of good step by step bandsaw plan's , that they are willing to share . It would be most appreciated by me and many other's . Thank's Cheer's MM

You and your mates need ta know how to ask questions and then use your search engines :D (no offence meant there mon, but hey!)

Googled "Home made bandsaw plans, free" with over 22,000 entries, granted not all about bandsaws but ya catch my drift eh, theres a ton of info out there its just a matter of spending a bit of time to do the searches, learn to ignore the obviously non-helpful links and try to find the specific statements regarding your questions. Also try to reword your inquiries if you end up with a list of lemons.
Secondly, spend a bit of time in your local library, it is a much underused and very valuable resource and I have no doubt there are more than a few free ideas out there that have been covered.
This link came up fourth or fifth I think > http://www.vintageprojects.com/power-tools/pipe-bandsaw.html
And various projects involving homebuilt things also link back to this site (its pretty cool btw).
As well there are sites like this here one which seems like a fairly decent forum for just such questions as yours> http://www.machinebuilders.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1412&PN=4
I am by no means trying to steer you away from AS by any stretch of the imagination, its just that many of the questions such as yours are answered elsewhere many times over if you take the time to go look-see.
Thirdly, and for me lastly on this topic, use your imagination, go study some existing ones, figure out what you need to accomplish your goals, two wheels for your band to run on with decent bearings (seen a couple of setups using rubber tired trailer tires etc.), a table to mount your machine on, pullys, a power source, an engine or motor, the gear to adjust your setup, etc etc., ya want ta run it on rails? Then go to the local junk yards and see what is there, don't let the lack of a plan stand in the way of a perfectly good idea :)

My halve cut 0.02$ fer a very tired Friday evening (sorry if I sound grumpy, I'm not really, just beat ta death today, been a long week), if I come up with better links I will post them as I am sort of curious about this also but no energy to go hunting right now :( ..................:D

:cheers:

Serge

Had a good laugh mate

You and your mates need ta know how to ask questions and then use your search engines :D (no offence meant there mon, but hey!)

Googled "Home made bandsaw plans, free" with over 22,000 entries, granted not all about bandsaws but ya catch my drift eh, theres a ton of info out there its just a matter of spending a bit of time to do the searches, learn to ignore the obviously non-helpful links and try to find the specific statements regarding your questions. Also try to reword your inquiries if you end up with a list of lemons.
Secondly, spend a bit of time in your local library, it is a much underused and very valuable resource and I have no doubt there are more than a few free ideas out there that have been covered.
This link came up fourth or fifth I think > http://www.vintageprojects.com/power-tools/pipe-bandsaw.html
And various projects involving homebuilt things also link back to this site (its pretty cool btw).
As well there are sites like this here one which seems like a fairly decent forum for just such questions as yours> http://www.machinebuilders.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1412&PN=4
I am by no means trying to steer you away from AS by any stretch of the imagination, its just that many of the questions such as yours are answered elsewhere many times over if you take the time to go look-see.
Thirdly, and for me lastly on this topic, use your imagination, go study some existing ones, figure out what you need to accomplish your goals, two wheels for your band to run on with decent bearings (seen a couple of setups using rubber tired trailer tires etc.), a table to mount your machine on, pullys, a power source, an engine or motor, the gear to adjust your setup, etc etc., ya want ta run it on rails? Then go to the local junk yards and see what is there, don't let the lack of a plan stand in the way of a perfectly good idea :)

My halve cut 0.02$ fer a very tired Friday evening (sorry if I sound grumpy, I'm not really, just beat ta death today, been a long week), if I come up with better links I will post them as I am sort of curious about this also but no energy to go hunting right now :( ..................:D

:cheers:

Serge

Excellent info Sprig sometime's the brain need's a tweak or 2 to get it back on track . I also had a good laugh mate , nothing wrong with a bit of sarcasm , thank's for the effort , I am sure many topic's come up time and again , as for asking the wrong question , I think I did OK , yeah I know you meant google :hmm3grin2orange: Cheers MM

Excellent info Sprig sometime's the brain need's a tweak or 2 to get it back on track . I also had a good laugh mate , nothing wrong with a bit of sarcasm , thank's for the effort , I am sure many topic's come up time and again , as for asking the wrong question , I think I did OK , yeah I know you meant google :hmm3grin2orange: Cheers MM
Lol, no I wrote it properly! Really I did........I suppose I could have said "I Googled" but I figured the "I" would be understood...............hey mate, just how far in the boonies is ya? :D

(Glad I cheered ya up!)

:)

:cheers: (and ya, that first site is worthy of a good look through imho, pretty cool stuff!)

Serge

You don't need plans.....just start welding a bunch of crap together and post lots of pics while you do it:D

I knew the I was implied.... Those Aussies and Brits.....gotta spell everything out for them;)

Last edited:
Thank's Cantcutter

I don't have plans, but I can take some up close pics of mine and you can copy it:yoyo:

Sound's great Cantcutter ....... I got a set of plan's off of the net , which I bought for about $25.00us , for the carriage plan's , no rail plan's , but I figure it wont take much to design a set of rail's , I will also redesign the carriage , the carriage itself is simple enough , but some of the part's they want a person to use or make , are just over complicated and pointless , like the carriage wheels , I reckon some steel v belt pulleys with bearing's would work fine . This is just a dream for now , not enough time or money . But I would like to do some research on it now , so I get a better idea of what I am in for . I have built a number of project's now , small front-end loader , boom spray and sawmill to name a few . Would it be possible to get a shot of the band blade guides , the part the blade run's against . Cheers MM

Last edited:
don't mind the dust

100_0550.jpg

100_0551.jpg

100_0552.jpg

100_0553.jpg

100_0554.jpg

If you want cleaner pics.... or pics of anything else let me know.

Good stuff Mate

That's great stuff Cantcutter , I thought there was a couple of bearing's missing on the plan's , the one's supporting the back edge of the band blade , as the blade passe's by . Now that I have thought about building a bandsaw a little more seriously , I have come to realize , the design phase is the easy part , a basic bandsaw is quite a simple machine , building one that is accurate that would be the tricky part . mmmmmmm lot's to think about mate . Cheers MM

Yeah you are right...... They are pretty simple and yet mine have 13 adjustment screws on each side....

As far as cutting straight the most importiant part is the tracking of the band wheels, but they only have 4 adjustment screws on them.... My carriage roles on 4 pully wheels that ride round stock that is welded to the logbed.... there is one bearing on each side of the bottom of the carriage that holds the head to the logbed.

100_0555.jpg

I have seen wheels made for gate opening systems...about 3" diameter with a V groove to run on angle iron. Talk to an upscale fence company.

Turner's Bandsaw's

MM , a guy a couple of miles from here has a Turner mill that uses 5" diameter v belt pulleys for the carriage wheels . They look just like the pulleys on the riding mower . http://www.turnermills.com/

Hi Scott , thank's mate , I sent them an email to see what sort of price's they can come up with and or kit's . Cheer's MM ........ Yeah that's what I thought about the v belt pulley's , I see they also use bearing's both side's of the band blade , as well as back of blade .:clap:

Carriage bearing's

I see what you mean Cantcutter , that's a good idea mate . Cheer's MM

Carriage wheels

I have seen wheels made for gate opening systems...about 3" diameter with a V groove to run on angle iron. Talk to an upscale fence company.

Try McMaster-Carr.com, page 1295 of their on-line catalogue. These look good, and are pretty reasonable.

If you do a "google" on the subject of homebuilts you will find about a zillion sites covering the subject.

There must be innumerable methods and ideas for making guides and set works,everything you can imagine and some you can't.

You can delve with the parts of the bandsaw in several ways.You can make them or buy ready made components such as guides,set works,ready made carriage assembleys,about any old thing your heart desires.

A guy by the name of Bill Rakes sells plans.He has sold a bunch of them.I doubt he actually had the brainstorm for a rubber tired bandsaw but he seems to be the guru of same.There are some on e-Bay often for about 25 bucks,more or less.

Depending on a persons mechanical knowledge and ability to tell good junk from bad,the plans would or might be a better option.As for myself,my ability to reinvent the wheel knows no boundries,so to speak.I have a very vivide imagination,not at all times a good thing neccessarily.:dizzy:

Back