Does anyone know about the old MAX stump grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalTreeEquip

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just bought this old MAX R35D 4X4 diesel all hydraulic stump grinder.
Back in the day, when the Vermeer 665 was the unit to have and Asplundh drum chippers were king, it was pretty innovative but I have never talked to anyone that actually used one. Google has nothing on it. This one is in great shape and has low original hours. Are there any old-timers out there that have any experience with this machine?

They were built in minnieapolis by a forward thinking engineer. Frans Smith in CA has one and swears by it. very good machines to own by all accounts, I would'nt mind getting my hands on one...

This one is for sale.

112 hours on the meter, the tires still have molding slag on them so that meter may be correct, 35 hp Duetz 2 cylinder diesel engine and it looks like it was kept inside, very little sign of wear anywhere. I'll now more once I get it started, really dead battery.
It will be posted on my website when it's ready.
Google, California Tree Equipment.

Max r35d stump grinder

Do you still have your max stump grinder i just bought one and was curious how yours turned out

Max grinder sold

I sold it last fall to a guy in Washington, haven't heard any complaints yet.
The Hydro pump valve was squealing with week drive power so it needed a rebuild. Also I made the mistake of running the cutter wheel from forward to reverse (yes you can reverse the cutter, pretty cool) while it was still in motion and popped a hydro line. I was thinking that there was air in the system and I was trying to purge it.

It's a very interesting machine, very heavy, well built, kind of awkward but lots of power.

I can't wait to try it out i have a 665a and want to use the max on smaller stuff and places i can;t get my truck still waiting for it to come back from the shop from having some of the injectors replaced mine is a 4 cylinder deutz not sure on hp put the best guess is about 50hp???

Max r35d stump grinder

Just thought i'd let a few of you who seemed interested
i got the max back from the shop changed the teeth over to vermeer pro teeth and it works great seems to have lots of power.
Seems to a better job than my old 630 vermeer but not as well as my 665 vermeer should be good machine for stumps under 25 inches.

Max r35d stump grinder

Just thought i'd let a few of you who seemed interested
i got the max back from the shop changed the teeth over to vermeer pro teeth and it works great seems to have lots of power.
Seems to a better job than my old 630 vermeer but not as well as my 665 vermeer should be good machine for stumps under 25 inches.
Any chance you still have this my uncle was the guy who built them and id like to get ahold of one

Back