Does Burning Green Wood In Broiler Work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be a sweet idea having a smoker hooked up to it. Heat and smoke while you heat the house.
I haven't done much smoking this winter. Even though I have a built my own custom insulated smoker it's been too darn cold. I did however buy some supplies today for making some snack sticks next weekend. I still have a large amount of ground venison from this past deer season set aside for just such a purpose.

I'm not that picky on beer, just as long as it's cold, dark, has a thick head and says Guinness on it, then I'll drink it.

I seams like the smoke chamber on the Portage and Main wood boiler could be used as a smoker.

Here is why you shouldn't put wet wood in a boiler, I've been home a bit more than usual and have been burning cut offs, limbs and ugly s, and it has spit out a some water. I'm picky about what I put in, nothing recognizable as wet, period.

0225141347a.jpg

Just mix it with dry if possible. You gotta do what you gotta do.

I do it all the time but I make sure to have pine mixed in with it.

Never ever had the creosote drool and slobber that I have seen some stoves have, but the boiler also has forced air which I feel helps a lot.

I seams like the smoke chamber on the Portage and Main wood boiler could be used as a smoker.
I would never try it with mine, but I think you are right. It has access doors front and back, and temps would be about right I would guess.

I have cooked/smoked a few things in my P&M conventional OWB. Back before I retired I brought a furnace thermometer home and did some testing, the smoke passage reaches about 350F while burning and drops to around 200 when idling so the colder it is outside the quicker it cooks, 3 hours for a big baked tater.

Burning green wood and keeping water temps at 150 in my homemade owb does leave the chamber walls looking pretty nasty. I'm not to worried I will build a barn burner of fire at the end of the season and get it cleaned out.

Can you Yes, optimal definately not. I just had to drop a couple cottonwoods that are close to mine b/c this is the most wood I've burnt in the 10yrs of using an outdoor boiler. Still have 2 cords of seasoned wood and I'll be mixing the green cottonwood in to get me through. I'm thinking green wood is still better than fuel oil!

Burning green wood and keeping water temps at 150 in my homemade owb does leave the chamber walls looking pretty nasty. I'm not to worried I will build a barn burner of fire at the end of the season and get it cleaned out.

Our water temp is set at 125 for off and 115 for on. No buildup issues.

Our forced air is a "unique" setup. Upper and lower into the firebox and the fan is......don't laugh......a 2200 cfm made for a bounce house that is on a rheostat. I have the fan set to well under half of the full tilt setting.

When the fan comes on......it's a blast furnace. If the entire firebox and additional heat exchanger were not 5/8 steel......I would be worried sometimes.

Our water temp is set at 125 for off and 115 for on. No buildup issues.

Our forced air is a "unique" setup. Upper and lower into the firebox and the fan is......don't laugh......a 2200 cfm made for a bounce house that is on a rheostat. I have the fan set to well under half of the full tilt setting.

When the fan comes on......it's a blast furnace. If the entire firebox and additional heat exchanger were not 5/8 steel......I would be worried sometimes.

Why such low water temps? I'm not sure of the exact number but you need to hit 160+ to cook the oxygen out of the boiler water to prevent corrosion from that side. I like 180 off.

Why such low water temps? I'm not sure of the exact number but you need to hit 160+ to cook the oxygen out of the boiler water to prevent corrosion from that side. I like 180 off.

Gary,

Home made unit. It is what it is.

Have experimented with higher temps but this seemed to be the happy medium for off/on in subzero temps.

End result water temp has been a non issue between floor heat in shop/house garage, air to water heat exchanger for house heat, and hot water heater in house.

I delivered a cord of red oak to an OWB user on Friday afternoon. He called me Saturday mid morning, kinda mad. When he woke up at 6 his house was waaaaayyyy too warm in there. I explained to him the differences between green wood and dry wood.
You can tell some one a hundred times how it is better to burn dry vs. wet. But when they load the stove the same (with dry ) as they do with wet wood, they will not only be able to see the difference, but feel it! lol I am willing to bet he loaded a bit differently last night!

Ted

Latest posts

Back