Does sawdust get into your modded muffler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anynameyouwish

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those of you who open up your muffler or get rid of the arrestor screen (or both): How do you prevent sawdust from getting into your muffler? I'm looking to keep my milling saw as cool as possible so am considering experimenting with muffler mods. Still have a lot of reading to do before I start dremeling the crap out of my muffler, but the question up top is one of the things I'm wondering about.

Do you mean sawdust getting in the muffler when running? If so, that isn't going to happen, the muffler is under constant pressure, so anything coming near the opening will get blown out.
Why are you getting rid of the screen? As long as it isn't clogged a screen doesn't hurt. You'd be better to open the baffles and exits up and leave the screen alone, if your muffler needs more flow. Don't open it up too much, and make sure to retune so you don't lean it out and burn it up.

I’ve never had a problem with dust or chips getting into the muffler, I do keep spark screens in place though. On most of my saws anyway. I do have a jred 630 with the early style two piece louvered muffler. Removed the screen and baffle on that one, you can look into the outlet and see the exhaust port. Nothing has gotten into it that I’m aware of.

Do you mean sawdust getting in the muffler when running? If so, that isn't going to happen, the muffler is under constant pressure, so anything coming near the opening will get blown out.
Why are you getting rid of the screen? As long as it isn't clogged a screen doesn't hurt. You'd be better to open the baffles and exits up and leave the screen alone, if your muffler needs more flow. Don't open it up too much, and make sure to retune so you don't lean it out and burn it up.
Well, that makes sense; then one would block off the ports only when the saw is not in use, to keep insects and such out.

The reason I was asking is that I plan to leave the factory deflector and screen alone, but then to add a second deflector as shown at . The second deflector doesn't have a screen.

The other way I was considering was to leave my dremel on the shelf and just buy a modded muffler. I've seen some nice looking ones with dual ports and these do not have screens.

Ideally I would like to experiment with a dual hole muffler with screens - I agree that they don't block much of anything, especially since I clean mine regularly.

Those of you who open up your muffler or get rid of the arrestor screen (or both): How do you prevent sawdust from getting into your muffler? I'm looking to keep my milling saw as cool as possible so am considering experimenting with muffler mods. Still have a lot of reading to do before I start dremeling the crap out of my muffler, but the question up top is one of the things I'm wondering about.
it could potentially be an issue if the saw is not running I guess?
But also that spark arrestor is there for a reason, and its not to keep junk out, pretty easy to start a fire without it, granted not for most folks just cutting firewood rounds, but I've set dry moss and leaves on fire multiple times, even with the arrestor...
but otherwise, I've had saw fill with water through the exhaust ports, and thats no fun, They will run a surprisingly long time before drowning... (and no that saw has still yet to be rebuilt, it was my backup at the time, then my main saw for 2 years, and is now the backup again... ) but aslo because it was my backup at the time, I had to get it dried out and running to finish the day so that sucked.... (main saw needed starter parts?)

Left in the rain, I'd assume? Maybe steam in the exhaust condenses in a muffler that's somehow large enough to stay under 212F and falls back into the cylinder when saw's off?

it rains pretty much constantly here, so my saws are generally left in the rain no matter what, only issue I've ever had as far as saw performance was when the decomp button gets pushed and the saw doesn't get run for a few days, it will fill the piston/crank up with water, which is also a PITA but pretty rare.

I use screen scavenged from an old kitchen strainer. The window-screen sized mesh flows well and keeps out stinkbugs and mud daubers. Where and when I cut sparks are not a concern.

I use screen scavenged from an old kitchen strainer. The window-screen sized mesh flows well and keeps out stinkbugs and mud daubers. Where and when I cut sparks are not a concern.
I don't know why stink bugs are drawn to chainsaws but they are. Mud daubers are drawn to the ignition switch on my tractor.

Stink bug invasion is absolutely crazy here too! I live in the country surrounded by very large farms.
I have several Peach, Pear, Apple, Asian Pear trees, black berries & two large gardens too so those stinkers feel right at home here. Eating our flowering trees & roses too.
Our super nerds are working hard on the problem critters (see link).
But I seen the way they eat & make babies even faster so they better speed it up!

https://tellus.ars.usda.gov/stories...nk-bug-ars-scientists-bring-in-its-arch-enemy

I don't know why stink bugs are drawn to chainsaws but they are. Mud daubers are drawn to the ignition switch on my tractor.
Well' fwiw they love sweet fruit trees best I read?
Ants love ethenol enough I seen them crawl inside my neighbors gas cans. Ive cleaned both dead/live ants out of her riders fuel system more than once.
Bugs are strange...lol

Stink bug invasion is absolutely crazy here too! I live in the country surrounded by very large farms.
I have several Peach, Pear, Apple, Asian Pear trees, black berries & two large gardens too so those stinkers feel right at home here. Eating our flowering trees & roses too.
Our super nerds are working hard on the problem critters (see link).
But I seen the way they eat & make babies even faster so they better speed it up!

https://tellus.ars.usda.gov/stories...nk-bug-ars-scientists-bring-in-its-arch-enemy
They are nuts here in NW NC. I haven’t had them get in a saw muffler that I remember but they sure get in about everything else. This is the time of year when they’re coming in to get warm.

As a bonus, get yourself some Onslaught from ebay or amazon and mix it to the label. Then spray about 3 feet up your foundation/outside walls and about 3 feet out into the yard. It works.

If you want to see an absolute bug apocalypse, spray your shop concrete ….
I am still in absolute awe of the shear number of dead bugs I sweep up. Spiders and stink bugs this time of year fill dust pans….

For my 361, I cut a piece of fine-mesh stainless steel screen (purchased on ebay) and rolled it up into a cone, then pushed it up into the exit pipe from the muffler, then bent the wide end of the cone around the outside of the muffler exit pipe, then secured it with a spring hose clamp around that pipe (idea thanks to LakeSide).

On my 660, I did the same, except (since I didn't have a spring hose clamp big enough) to secure the screen in the muffler, I tig welded a piece of wire across the 3/4" diameter exit pipe of the muffler, which holds the conical screen inside the muffler.

In both cases, since the spark-arrestor screen is shaped like a cone, it has lots of "surface area" to allow exhaust gases to escape, and it does not seem to clog up with carbon so far...

In many areas, you'll get a ticket/fine from the Forestry Cops if you use a chainsaw without a screen spark arrestor. (This can be a fire hazard.)

I've been stopped by a forest ranger in my truck, and told that the next time she saw my truck in the woods, it needed to have a spark arrester on the exhaust. Only time I've ever been stopped by a forest ranger, but they seem to take it seriously.
Must be a reginal thing. They won't say anything about a vehicle, but an atv/dirt bike. Better have a spark screen in.

For my 361, I cut a piece of fine-mesh stainless steel screen (purchased on ebay) and rolled it up into a cone, then pushed it up into the exit pipe from the muffler, then bent the wide end of the cone around the outside of the muffler exit pipe, then secured it with a spring hose clamp around that pipe (idea thanks to LakeSide).
This is an excellent idea! In fact I was wondering if I could buy one of those round-exhaust dual port mufflers from ebay and add the screens myself somehow but couldn't think of a good way to do that.

They love sweets trees/plants. I have several trees Peach, Pear, Apple, Asian Pear, black berries & two large gardens too so those stinkers feel right at home here. Flowering trees & a yard full of roses here too.
Our super nerds are working hard on the stink bug issue (see link).
But I see the way they eat & there make babies even faster so they better hurry & kill them huh?

Latest posts

Back