Does this look warm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked the clearances in the spec book and it says 14" from the sides so the drapes the way they hang are about twice the minimum.... but pull them out and I could lay them across the top of the stove. No kids in the house and the inlaws don't have any kids. The outlet just makes spec... it's 11" from where the corner of the stove will be and the spec is 9". I think we'll be ok. The sides are iffy if you figure in the "Oh Jesus" factor, but I've never been a religious man... LOL

Ian

Last edited:
If they're just "decorative," screw an eye into the wall and securely tie the curtains back.

Keep an eye on them for degradation from exposure to heat over time.

Man, I hate to hear about such tough times, especially when you all are so close! I thought about going up there last weekend to help, figured to load a few saws up and head north, but the Kentucky State Patrol was unhelpful when it came to telling me where to go. I talked to several different people, but I guess they dont have any type of system in place to deal with volunteers.
I know I am only one guy with a saw, but I figured I might be able to help out clearing off obstacles off of the roads if nothing else.
Have most of the downed trees been cleared and you all still just waiting for transformers?
Best of luck to you all, and if you need a hand give a shout out!I aint far!

Out in Western KY, communication was bad and resources didn't get to where they were needed. Phones were down, cell towers were down, they even said their radios weren't working right. They were operating off the few Satellite phones that were around, and that wasn't many. I chucked the 346 in the truck and opened up a couple roads in my immediate vicinity that I needed to use. There were a lot of little branches in the road but few big trees. I cut one 12"er out of the way and there was another that was hung in another tree and you had to drive under it to get through. I didn't think it was in my best interest to deal with that one since it wasn't blocking anything.

Some think that we're going to get a second dose of this when everything thaws out and the ground gets good and saturated. Leaning trees that didn't come down with the ice will pull root balls up and take the power out again. We'll see.

still no power at my house,
Ian

Looks great, Ian! I like the colors.

Shari

It's not really what we wanted, but it was in stock and close enough for now. They have one with a random pattern of tile instead of the big 12" squares and the edge is decorative instead of just straight up. That was a special order item though and we were (are) cold. LOL We might Craigslist this one and replace it later with a nicer pad when we do the rock behind the stove.

Ian

DSC00035-2.jpg

Looks like a crimescene chalk drawing where a woodstove was allegedly murdered.

HHHmmm I think you may be onto something sherlock.........

My bet is he was killed by one of those jealous pellet stoves.
:confused:

To me, because of the electrical cord inadvertantly dropped on the floor, and the piece of clothing left there, that it was most likely Colonel Mustard, and Mrs peacock together and I am sure it happened in the basement laundryroom....... of course I am positive that an Osburn Hybrid-35MF must have had SOMETHING to do with it.......:)

poor chap.:(

good day. :greenchainsaw:

Good choice on the Oslo!

About that window.......radiant heat from the stove will go right through the glass and heat the great outdoors....unless of course it's low E glass. There may be low E blinds that would prevent radiant loss but I'm not familiar.

+1 absolutely Ian. I think you're going too be allot happier with the big Jotul than the Lennox deal you had been talking about getting installed. JMO but the Oslo will crank out some heat for years too come and it's a good looker too. :cheers:

I feel your pain! Jan of '98 we had an ice storm that put our power out for 4 weeks.That sucked.

Good choice on the Oslo!

About that window.......radiant heat from the stove will go right through the glass and heat the great outdoors....unless of course it's low E glass. There may be low E blinds that would prevent radiant loss but I'm not familiar.

Not sure on the windows, but the house is about 12 y/o so the windows aren't too old, maybe they are low-e. I'd think that radiant heat would heat the drapes and consequently the room if they were closed... or am I wrong on that?

Ian

Ian. sorry to hear you have been out of power because of the storms.

The preinstall looks/sounds good from here. For the added heat from your fine choice in stoves you won't miss the space it takes up. The little lady will hopefully appreciate the cash savings from the benefit of wood heat. Hope the next few weeks goes better than the last couple have been.

:cheers:

Aaron

I think she'll love it. She gets cold really easily and the thermostat set on 63 doesn't agree with her at all. I'm looking forward to 75 in the house myself.

Ian

Last edited:
Good luck to you Ian, and all of the rest of you guys in the area...have any of my fellow ham radio operators been there to supply communications?

I haven't seen any reports of hams helping out with communications but the news hasn't been doing a lot of detail reporting like that.

Ian

That's another thing I like about our inside the basement wood furnace, even if the power is out you still have heat rising up through the floor and the heat vents, even though the blower isn't running.

Some think that we're going to get a second dose of this when everything thaws out and the ground gets good and saturated. Leaning trees that didn't come down with the ice will pull root balls up and take the power out again. We'll see.

Oh, these are storms that keep on giving.

In New England most of our worst forest fire years followed either a hurricane or ice storm by 2 or 3 years. You end up with a lot of "big fuel" on the ground an nicely seasoned, and they way they break off leave jagged edges that are easy to ignite.

While the wood may not burn well during this spring's fire season, there's gonna be more delayed access then usual as woods and fire roads are blocked by fallen limbs where the ice storm hit.

Plus tons of widow makers in the woods, and damaged but not snapped yet limbs -- the electric companies are expecting above average outages for the next few years as those damaged limbs come down in future wind storms.

Ian, even overhere it was on the news how hard Kentucky was hit by icestorms! Must have been real bad overthere otherwise it would´t have been on television here in Holland.

O, contacted Baileys about the Beranek book, it´s on its way!
Thanks for your kind offer.

Wish you,your family and loved ones all the best!

Lex

Back