Does this picture signal anything?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doindia

Reaction score
So the backstory is I have a couple small residential saws ms170 and ms 250 that I’ve always ran 50:1 in and a ms440 that I run 40:1 in. After reading more I decided to just go 40:1 across the spectrum. I’ve ran 5-6 tanks of 40:1 through the 250 with no issue. Maybe a hair more smoke on full throttle but nothing to write home about. Yesterday I took it out (I use it to limb trees i fell with the 440 because it’s so much lighter) it cranked then stalled, cranked again then stalled, then got to where it wouldn’t crank again at all just turned over. I took the plug out and it was def fouled but the air filter wasn’t “dirty” per se but it had a black stain you can see in pics. I took it in and washed it, got very little debris off of it and none of the black removed at all. You can wipe this thing on a white shirt with no residue. To me it looks like oil but doesn’t feel like oil. I thought I would probably have to re-tune it after switching to 40:1 but it ran great those 4-5 tanks so I never messed with it.

Turns out I went out today and cranked it up and it ran like a sewing machine again so I guess I just flooded it which seems weird but whatever. Still wondering about the air filter though. Figured I’d post some pics while I wait for some new filters to arrive. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_9216.jpeg
    IMG_9216.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9218.jpeg
    IMG_9218.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
That filter is DONE in that condition. Is it AM or genuine Stihl. If you can't see light through it it is blocked. I don't know what these currently cost but you might try flushing it (after it is THOROUGHLY dry) with a spray can and straw of your favorite autoparts store NON-CHLORINATED brake cleaner. Do this from the inside out. It may clean up or it may not. Brake cleaner is the best way to clean these filters but do it before they get this bad. When you are done you should see light but no pinholes through the filter medium.

While you are at it remove the spark screen from the muffler and burn it off with a torch.

So the backstory is I have a couple small residential saws ms170 and ms 250 that I’ve always ran 50:1 in and a ms440 that I run 40:1 in. After reading more I decided to just go 40:1 across the spectrum. I’ve ran 5-6 tanks of 40:1 through the 250 with no issue. Maybe a hair more smoke on full throttle but nothing to write home about. Yesterday I took it out (I use it to limb trees i fell with the 440 because it’s so much lighter) it cranked then stalled, cranked again then stalled, then got to where it wouldn’t crank again at all just turned over. I took the plug out and it was def fouled but the air filter wasn’t “dirty” per se but it had a black stain you can see in pics. I took it in and washed it, got very little debris off of it and none of the black removed at all. You can wipe this thing on a white shirt with no residue. To me it looks like oil but doesn’t feel like oil. I thought I would probably have to re-tune it after switching to 40:1 but it ran great those 4-5 tanks so I never messed with it.

Turns out I went out today and cranked it up and it ran like a sewing machine again so I guess I just flooded it which seems weird but whatever. Still wondering about the air filter though. Figured I’d post some pics while I wait for some new filters to arrive. Thanks in advance!
Pour straight gas through it, inside out. I’ve seem worse

That filter is DONE in that condition. Is it AM or genuine Stihl. If you can't see light through it it is blocked. I don't know what these currently cost but you might try flushing it (after it is THOROUGHLY dry) with a spray can and straw of your favorite autoparts store NON-CHLORINATED brake cleaner. Do this from the inside out. It may clean up or it may not. Brake cleaner is the best way to clean these filters but do it before they get this bad. When you are done you should see light but no pinholes through the filter medium.

While you are at it remove the spark screen from the muffler and burn it off with a torch.
Yeah I pulled the plug and torched the oil/fuel off and sanded what little carbon was on off as well, but I should def check the spark screen and make sure it’s not gummed up with carbon. As far as the filter goes, it’s definitely done. I ordered more just trying to figure out why it looked like this. All the other filters I’m used to are covered in dust or debris that is usually scrubable. This picture is after a complete washing. Like I said there’s no residue and no visible debri it just has this blackened color almost like oil had been running through it. Even then I’d figure it would wipe off on my hands or a napkin or something. I soaked it in cleaner and washed it in soapy water just to see, just an off wear pattern from what I’m used to. I clean these out every few months depending on how much use my saws get and they’re ALWAYS layered in fine wood particles or if I forget for a while caked on with sawdust but never seen it colored like this.

Haha that is clean. This pic is after hot soapy water and a scrub brush,
Water will expand the wood dust and lock it into the filter media!

so needless to say I’ve got some in the mail!
From where? Aftermarket filters are usually junk.

BTW, a lot of fine dust comes from using a DULL chain. You may want to up your sharpening game.

Gas bath! Air-dry in the sun. Repeat + toothbrush if it doesn't swish off.
NEVER use a toothbrush on these filters as it will ruin them! You can use a SOFT paint brush to knock off the big chunks from the outside before using brake cleaner.

I clean these out every few months depending on how much use my saws get and they’re ALWAYS layered in fine wood particles or if I forget for a while caked on with sawdust but never seen it colored like this.
Every few months is WAY too long. These need to be maintained possibly on a daily basis, especially if you are cutting with a dull chain.

Never been an issue with a light touch and an old worn toothbrush, but hey, to each their own.
Well, these are surface type filters and using a stiff brush will just force the debris from the surface and into the filter media possibly locking it in forever. Brake cleaner does a better job cleaning and no risk of damaging the filter.

Back