Dogwood Tree needs help, Dogwood Borer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
majik655

majik655

Hello

I have a Dogwood tree I planted 3 years ago from a nursery.
Unfortunately my wife did not understand to research before purchasing and of course we have it planted in the worst place it turns out. FULL Sun, surrounded by rocks as floor cover (EXCEPT at its base)...however it has been fine the last 3 years until a week ago or so.

I noticed it is "bleeding" mainly at the moment from the whole trunk. There are now a couple branches where the sap is beginning to ooze. The base of the trunk looks fine and really there are no hurt areas. However we also pruned it about 1.5 months ago which again turns out to be the wrong time (or is it?)

Anyway there are little holes basically everywhere. The ones on the trunk are covered in sap. The ones up the branches are at the bottom of where a branch goes into a main branch. These are NOT "bleeding" but I have never noticed them before.

I am also now seeing little flakes of what I assume is saw dust on non sap covered holes starting to go higher up the branches. All leaves are dry and all flowers that did begin to bloom at also dead.

Is this Dogwood Borers? And if so, WHERE and WHAT do I kill them with. A link to something, or a store and a brand to buy would be awesome.
Should we just call it quits for this tree? Since it is not in the correct place for planting, (oregon does not get much sun)? Or at least give it one more go?

Pics below.
View attachment 293975 View attachment 293976 View attachment 293977 View attachment 293978 View attachment 293979

Last edited:
majik655

majik655

The tree is beyond help. IMO. Once the borers are in the tree, its game over. Remove and replace.

Thank you (that is what I thought).

I have to ask you though (my wife is pretty sad about it) to please my wife....
IF you were to try....do you think my local nursery carries something that can "fix" it, or are we looking at getting an Arborist and special stuff?

OH and I guess I am right that it is a Dogwood Borer doing this damage?

Last edited:
majik655

majik655

Thanks for the read. I will look for those chemicals. Hope my nursery knows what they are :)

I do understand what Zale means. Since the tree is planted in a bad place (no place anywhere around us is good.) and more than likely if I can not get my hands on something, the tree will be highly infected. To kill all the eggs is more than likely not going to happen. This is a young tree and is not like it has big trunks yet.

I have stuck a wire in many of the holes (had a small hook on it also) the wire on some holes go in 1 inch. Thats where the wire stopped, who knows how big they really are. To get poison down there will be harder.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY!