Dolmar 111 - Low end bog?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack_Shaft

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just picked up a good used Sachs-Dolmar 111 on eBay a few weeks ago and I started working on it yesterday.

I replaced the coil & switch since it was clearly in bad shape and managed to start it up and it runs great. I managed to adjust the carb settings a little to clean it up on the high end, but the low end was perfect with a good idle and no bogging. I did notice that the chain brake is not working and the band appears to have been broken completely off, so I ordered a new one today.

Everything was working fine until I tried to put a chain on it. I made up a 64-link 33RS 3/8" pitch Stihl chain for it to fit the 18" bar that was on it (chain specs stamped on bar), greased the nose sprocket and everything seemed to be good and freely turning.

When I fired up the saw again with the chain on it, the thing seems like it is jamming on the low end. Major bogging and great difficulty to start the chain in motion is what I got, which seems weird since the saw works so well w/o the chain on. I double checked to make sure I had the correct chain tension and that it was seated properly on the rim sprocket and that all seems fine. Any ideas as to what could be jamming the chain? Maybe the bar is worn out? I ran it through the bench grinder a couple of times to remove any bad edges.

Any ideas as to what my saw could be jamming up on would be appreciated.

-Rob
[email protected]

similar problem

I had a 540 that was similar. Brake band was dragging on the clutch. Very tight clearance between clutch and side cover. When everthing was tightened up there was some interference. Look at the band and see if it is getting rubbed by the clutch. Also make sure the band is sitting on the little ledges cast into the side cover. I had to remove the brake and keep tweeking (bending) until it all fit perfect. I like Dolmars, but this is a great example of over German engineering that has a 100 parts and the Japanese would accomplish the same with about 3.

Hope this helps.

Hi Rob.. Hey any pics that might help.. Do you know the year of the saw their was a few variations of the model 111. Is it a bog or bind that troubles you does the chain turn smoothly by hand? Let me know if I can help.
Scott

Luke said:
I had a 540 that was similar. Brake band was dragging on the clutch. Very tight clearance between clutch and side cover. When everthing was tightened up there was some interference. Look at the band and see if it is getting rubbed by the clutch. Also make sure the band is sitting on the little ledges cast into the side cover. I had to remove the brake and keep tweeking (bending) until it all fit perfect. I like Dolmars, but this is a great example of over German engineering that has a 100 parts and the Japanese would accomplish the same with about 3.

Hope this helps.

As my original post says, the band is completely broken off, so it shouldn't be interfering with the clutch drum.

cuttinscott said:
Hi Rob.. Hey any pics that might help.. Do you know the year of the saw their was a few variations of the model 111. Is it a bog or bind that troubles you does the chain turn smoothly by hand? Let me know if I can help.
Scott

Man, I have no idea about the year, it was in kind of rough shape and I am just trying to resurrect it seeing as so many people praise these saws so highly.

The chain does feel like it could be dragging on something, but it doesn't seem too bad and I just don't know exactly what it is. There is still a small nub of the brake band remaining and perhaps that is dragging on the clutch drum somewhat, but I really doubt it. I did change the Dolmar bar nuts for a couple of Yamaha flange nuts that I had laying around (only had one Dolmar bar nut to start with) I don't suppose that could have made any difference. The only other thing I did was to remove the small metal cover that goes over the brake engagement/disengagement mechanism (spring, levers, etc.) since I thought that could be jamming on the chain.

Very weird... I left the saw at the shop of a dealer friend of mine yesterday and perhaps he can help me solve the issue. Kind of frustrating though, the second you take the clutch cover off, Rawwwwr, away she goes, perfect.

-Rob

Update for you all...

the bar looked to be fairly worn and upon getting a second opinion, I have replaced the bar with a new one. I'll see what happens tomorrow, my friend is going to make me up another chain to slap on there and see if the low end bog is there again.

-Rob

Is this what yours looks like? This is mine newly aquired saw....

Have you checked the roller bearing inside the clutch dum? That would cause the saw to run "bogged down" with the chain on, but not show up with the chain off.

Steve

Yep, mine looks very similar to that, but it does clearly say "Model 111" on the nameplate on the body, near the clutch drum.

If my problem persists, I will also check the roller brg inside the clutch drum... good idea. Is there anywhere on the net that I can get the exploded views for this saw?

-Rob

here is a link that has a couple (about 7 IPL's) of the 110/111/115,etc. They are all built on the same chassis. I just got a 111 parts saw, if you need any parts for yours. The year should be on the data tag under the clutch cover where you say it says 111. 1988 was the last year (as best as I can tell from my research) for the single post chain brake handle. All the later ones had a twin post handle.

http://www.atlanticpowerinc.com/dolmar.htm

steve

I've got a question, why do you think the brake was removed in the first place. This is more than likely a on going problem with the saw. However, you are in good hand here these guys will get you fixed up.

Buck

Freakingstang said:
here is a link that has a couple (about 7 IPL's) of the 110/111/115,etc. They are all built on the same chassis. I just got a 111 parts saw, if you need any parts for yours. The year should be on the data tag under the clutch cover where you say it says 111. 1988 was the last year (as best as I can tell from my research) for the single post chain brake handle. All the later ones had a twin post handle.

steve

Sent you a PM, I need a 3/8" pitch 7T rim sprocket if you have one...

-Rob
[email protected]

buck futter said:
I've got a question, why do you think the brake was removed in the first place. This is more than likely a on going problem with the saw. However, you are in good hand here these guys will get you fixed up.

Buck

It wasn't removed, the band broke, a piece still remains. Looks like it is the rim sprocket that is causing the trouble now.

Freakingstang said:

steve

Very helpful post, thank you. I managed to get a P/N for the rim sprocket I need and I have it on order now. I do need a brake handle though, not sure if you have one of those kicking around.

-Rob

Jack_Shaft said:
Very helpful post, thank you. I managed to get a P/N for the rim sprocket I need and I have it on order now. I do need a brake handle though, not sure if you have one of those kicking around.

-Rob

That was the whole reason I bought it, was for the brake handle. I got it from a saw shop and they had already steam cleaned it and packaged everything in individual baggies with prices on them. I bought the whole shabang. I do have a good clutch cover with the working chainbrake assy. I got everything except the hardware and piston.???? The cylinder is great, but no piston! ???? It is in really good shape, but no hardware. I can't mount the handle as of yet, because I need the shoulder bolt and they have discontinued it.

Steve

Back