dolmar 5100s vs. 6400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini kahuna

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I need a new saw,cutting hardwood tops after loggers for firewood.
most tops around 18"-20" at their base,will be using the saw alot.
the 5100 seems like a stellar saw in it's class but I think I might be over loading it in the bigger cuts?
the 6400 is also in my mind,more cc's less strain on the saw but it is heavier.
there is nothing worst than having a saw too small for what your doing,except maybe lugging around a big saw for nothing!!
the home depot 6401 seems like a great deal too.
any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated,thanks

Hardwood. 20". Save the 5100 for the smaller stuff. Sure, it can handle this stuff, but I'm guessing that you're looking for a saw that will allow more production per hour, which tends to favor larger displacement. A modified 5100 might be a good compromise, if you're into going that route.

The 6400/6401 is a great saw, and if you can score a good one from the HomeDepot rental department then you're doing well. The one I bought has been a perfect runner and cost $217.30. If you're going to buy your saw at retail, you might as well get the extra displacement of the 7900, since they weigh the same. A new 7900 can be had for $600 if you look around.

Or, you could just buy both!

resized_6401_7900_01a.jpg

yeah computeruser you confirmed what I kinda thought,that red oak demands some cubic inches,you can cut it with a 50cc class saw but it is taxing on the operator not to mention the saw itself.
the reason I am leaning towards a dolmar is that a logger I follow has a 7900 and it just ripped when I tried it,I should probably bite the bullet and get one.

If you can afford it and look around buy both the 5100 & 7900..........have all bases covered and never look back!!!:biggrinbounce2:[/QUOTE]

Exactly!
I do the same type of cutting part time and I run both a 5100 and a stihl 460.
20" bar on both and switch between the two, depending on what's in the piles on the landing.

rahtreelimbs said:
If you can afford it and look around buy both the 5100 & 7900..........have all bases covered and never look back!!!:biggrinbounce2:
Two saws makes sence in this case; i believe - so I won't suggest a MS361 as a compromise. :laugh: :laugh:

Latest posts

Back