Dolmar 5105 Idle adjustment screw,.. is there one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Lary

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
First off I hope everyone had a good fattening dinner yesterday we did up here. I was cold as all get out I think it was 16* with lots of wind about dinner time. Now on to my saw question.
The last time I ran the saw any amount was back in October about the last week of the month. Towards the end of sawing up a couple cords in to stove length, I was having an issue with the saw staling if I sat it down for more than a moment.
I figured no big deal next time I run the saw I will just remember to turn the idle screw a little. So today I went to do that and I am embarrassed to admit I cannot see an idle screw. It does have a high and low adjustment screws and maybe all I can do I open the low end up a bit? That is if there is no idle screw on the saw. I bought it new last January. If you have any info that will help I am all ears thanks. Jeff

Well I am back, yes the idle screw was right there. I could say that the adjustment went easy and I went right to work after. Of course where would be the fun in that.
Before I even started the saw I turned the screw in 1/4 of a turn then I went to the woods. But on the way I thought " ya know a 1/4 turn on an un-started saw may be too much...So when I got to the big blown over spruce that has blocked one of my roads all deer season I decided to split the difference and turn it back 1/8 turn so in reality when all was said and done the idle screw had been turned in a total of 1/8 turn.
Now you would think that was the end but oooooh no not so easy. I choked the saw and it fired on the 2nd pull then I shut the choke off and pulled her over again and it started right up next pull. So I let it run,.. maybe not as long as I usually do maybe 10 seconds then I blipped the throttle to bring it off hi idle. And she immediately stalled out and you could not restart that saw with a stick of dynamite, no way nope not gonna run no way no how.

I am sure I must have choked it again tryin to restart it and eventually flooded it. Well when that saw gets flooded your done. I changed the plug and same thing no start. So I pulled the plug and pulled the saw over 40-50 times dried out the first plug and then I tried something different.
I turned the low speed screw all the way into the seat,.. I meant to count the turns really I did but somehow I did not or at least I could not remember. But I opened the low end back out to 1 turn. Of course by now I had also began trying to reset the idle screw to the beginning point. I did this by trying to tell when the screw started to make the linkage move when turning in the screw. When I first saw movement in the throttle arm/ linkage I went 1 turn more. "On my Partners that is the way I always began with them".
Well it would start but not run on its own so I turned the idle in a few more turns so it would stay running while I fiddled with the Low end . It would hog up when you squeezed the trigger so slowly I kept opening the low end till it revved like I thought it should. Then I turned the idle back down to something close to normal. I think the Low end , ended up at about 1, 1/4 to 1, 1/2. I think the idle needs to come down more a little anyway but I ran it on the big spruce and then on a bigger Hack blow down she runs fine.....for now anyway. I got 2 16' logs and a 12' and an 8' out of the Spruce . I got 2 16' a 12' and 2 8 footers from the Hack. I have zero use for the logs but I will think of something maybe have them sawn out and use the lumber for another deer stand. Thanks for the responses, I should be back under control now at least I sure hope so.

Latest posts

Back