Dolmar 6400 has a winter summer shutter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericjeeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Yeah I imagine if I had read the manual.I would have known that. I just saw it while cleaning the dustbunnies out of mine. Getting it ready for tomorrow.

My buddy finally got a deal on a PS5100. I wanted to make sure my chain was sharp and ready to go..
I could have used that brand new grinder.. had it not been in shattered pieces by the time it got to my house from overseas.Oh well three licks with a file per tooth shined it up quite nicely.

want some free horsepower????

leave it in summer mode and turn the high speed unless it is between 30 and 40 degrees Farenheit, and humidity is super high.

the colder air is "free" horsepower.

drmiller100 said:
want some free horsepower????

leave it in summer mode and turn the high speed unless it is between 30 and 40 degrees Farenheit, and humidity is super high.

the colder air is "free" horsepower.

until your carb freezes, then the free stuff isn't cool anymore.

The end of the week we will be looking at single digits

I think it might like a little bit of warmer air.. Rather not lean it out..It is still pretty shiney.

until your carb freezes, then the free stuff isn't cool anymore.
I have heard people say this happens, but I have never seen it. I also dont live in a blamy climate and I never flip the winter shutter open as the filter gets too dirty. On my XPG saw I dont run the carb heater either.

I had a carb freeze up on a car once, never on a chainsaw. When it's that cold, I don't need to cut. I am only feeding a woodstove. The car deal was weird, it was a rainy cold day and the car kept loosing power to the point where I had to pull over, I let it sit for a few minutes and it cleared up. I kept driving a noticed thepower loss again so I decided I'd look to see if the carb was freezing as soon as I pulled over again, sure enough it was, the culprit was a pinched vaccuum line to the thermal air cleaner preheater valve.

Off road diesel fuel sucks in the winter...Has lots of moisture in it from the dirty environment. Gelled fuel in onroad or offroad sucks

Highs here have been in the low 30's the past couple weeks, and some of my customers like this option. It does help but I wish I didnt hafta deal with the cold!!

You lucky ppl, over here the carb heater / winter flap is almost must to have if you plan cutting in winter (around -10 to -30)... without carb heater most saws will have problems with freezing over here and even winter flap doesnt help when it gets really cold...

Back