Dolmar 7900 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_376

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I need some advice on a new cylinder and piston for my 7900. I tried to do a search but couldn't find any new information on which P&C to buy and if the big bore kit is worth buying? I looked around on the web for oem but they are in short supply, so are the big bore kits.

used one of the big bore kits on the Makita version I was very careful to test everything and it was a great runner I had to do some cleaning up of the ports I think I got it from HSL supply
I originally think the Saw was fried because of a leaky intake boot I was able to find a new one and vacuum and pressure tested fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been told you're better off with the OEM top end as it can be ported for a lot of gain. That being said, put the stock BB kit from Bailey's on my 6401 and am very pleased.
I opened up the muffler outlet but saw no significant gain from that. The big bore kit doesn't allow much room for porting.

I've had both the BB from baileys and OEM 7900's. Both cut good. The baileys top end was actually pretty nice. With the muffler opened up on the BB kit throttle response improved a good amount.

We tried a white box big bore kit purchased in 2015. It had plating loss after a year of moderate use. It “looked” great and ran ok until the saw developed bottom end issues. The plating loss would’ve killed the saw within a year or so.

Back