Dolmar PS-3410-TH Idle Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyon Angler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey, guys,

Starting to have idle problems with my Dolmar PS-3410-TH. Sometimes it will ldle fine and sometimes (even when warm) it will get real balky and be very hard to keep running.

Saw is 12 yrs old. For past 3 yrs or so, the primer bulb has been cracked and nonfunctional and I have used choke instead, and that has worked fine without any trouble.

Recently, after I modded muffler, my saw guy tuned it (and put in new primer bulb) and now is when the trouble started. Tried turning up the idle speed and that fixes it...sometimes. Sometimes it will idle just fine for extended periods, and sometimes you can't get it to idle to save your life. Gotta love restarting saw 100 times in a tree.

What would you folks recommend I look at first? Rebuilding carb? Checking for vacuum/pressure leak? (It does not change in the way it runs if you turn it on its side.) I've checked/cleaned air filter, replaced fuel filter, fuel mix is good, plug is good. When it runs, it runs strong. Also, I believe this saw has a reed box, if that matters...

Thanks for any suggestions.

AAAARRRGGGGGHHHHHH! This thing is driving me NUTS. Had to prune a bald cypress today and
EVERY
SINGLE
TIME
I tried to restart the saw in the tree, it took like 10-20 pulls to get it going. Yet when it's cold, I can almost start it by just rolling it past TDC once. It's consistently inconsistent.

Not sure what's happening, but get the feeling that when it hangs by lanyard in tree (with carb downward and saw turned off), something happens – either it floods or the fuel leaks out of the carb or...I dunno. When I finally do get it going, it's like it's super rich/borderline flooded. I'll open the throttle, and it might take 15-30 seconds to spin up.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks--

Latest posts

Back