Dolmar PS-5100s throttle shaft leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevensandeights

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have 2008 Dolmar PS-5100s that was idling erratically and racing after bucking rounds of hardwood. 18" bar with 3/8" chain sharpened appropriately. Only sees ethanol free gas mixed between 40 and 50:1 with full synthetic oil. No recent change in oil manufacturer (using VP racing currently but have also used Stihl and Husqvarna full synthetic). My saw has the metal insert ring in the intake boot. Saw is not used commercially but is used often - it has cut 60+ cords of firewood, mostly all in the past 5 years.

I replaced the stock carb with a Zama C1Q-DM13B after reading many posts on this forum and others. I also talked with one of the guys at The Cutting Edge in Greenwich, NY (they used to post here). I don't have a local dealer.

Installed the carb yesterday and got it running without much trouble starting with the H&L each 1.5 turns out but the racing is still happening. The saw runs much less erratic overall but still races after running at WOT for a few seconds. It will idle down nicely after 4-5 seconds on its own or you can blip the throttle and it will then idle down almost immediately. I sprayed carb cleaner around the carb and intake boot. No change on the left side (choke lever side) but the RPMs rev instantly on the throttle lever side. I think I've read on these forums about carbs leaking at the throttle lever. Is this common? Is there something else going on? Thanks in advance.

I have some pics and other descriptions in this thread from a few months ag0:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/5100-idle.28823/

Could I put some grease around the throttle shaft where it enters the carb. Perhaps only a temporary fix but help me determine if that's the primary leak.

Well I tried smearing some grease around the throttle shaft and nothing changed. Have another carb on the way.

Does anyone have a breakdown manual/schematic for this saw? Might finally have to buy a mityvac.

Latest posts

Back