Dolmar ps-540 vs Makita 520i (dolmar 111) differences?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfriendly

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking at two saws, used, need a new nice limbing/backup saw. Will probably run 16 inch bar.

Dolmar ps-540 54cc ~10.5? lbs (not sure weights can be believed) Not sure carb about 10? years old I have heard mixed reviews but have not held one or used one myself.. Apparently downrated for epa and possibly not as good of a carb. Running no bar $100

makita 520i about 15 years old but looks nice, not running ("sitting for years") $125 ..same as dolmar 111 Has Walbro WT-46-1, WT-76-1 or Tillotson HU-83 series carb 52cc, ~10lbs. I have used one of these in the distant past and liked it a lot.

Would the dolmar 540 wake up with a simple muffler mod?

Your thoughts on how these two saws compare much appreciated! No similar (my price range but decent) used huskies or even echos have showed up for sale for awhile and I'm ready to pull the trigger on one or the other.. I'm not worried about dealer or parts as I do the work myself. Thanks

One difference is that the 540 has a larger bore and displacement, but still is rated at the same power as the 111/520 (open port top ends on those).

The pro versions were the 115 and the 5200, with a closed port 52cc top end.

I also know that the weight specs used to be more "optimistic" than "normal", on that saw family.

Back