Dolmar Warranty Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

innovative

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Picked up my new 5100 a week ago and have been able to run 2 tanks of fuel through it so far. The idle seemed to be set pretty high, as the chain would slightly move once and a while. So it turned the idle down a bit. Now it is doing the same thing my old Dolmar did and that led me to buying a new saw. ( figured it was a good enough excuse and I was able to justify it to my wife);) It will die when I pick it up or when I get done with a cut, unless I get right back on the throttle a little. So Here is my question: I tried adjust the low but could not get it backed out enough to get it to want to die out. So should I trim the limiter tab ,and if I do would this void my warranty. It is kind of frustrating having to keep starting a brand new saw when I am out cutting. I want to go out cutting tomorrow and would like to get it tuned in but I also don't want to void my warranty.

Thanks

Take it back and have it adjusted. The second you cut/trim your limiter caps you're probably voiding your warranty unless your dealer is down. That said, if its between doing something or cutting tomorrow having done nothing, i'd rather you try to do something.

I dont want to see another one of these blow up.

MGF

I figure it would void my warranty. I will just use another saw I guess and will take it back to the dealer next week. I like the power it has!

Yeah, take it to your Dolmar dealer right away. Have him do a complete engine check. The dealer should test run it to see if he can duplicate the problem. Perform pressure/vacuum tests, check carb over, check ignition, fuel tank vent, look things over real good to pinpoint the source of the problem. Carry out the necessary repairs or adjustments. Finally, re-test run to confirm the problem is solved.

The Dolmar PS-5100s has a habit of leaking at the intake boot connection to the cylinder, impulse lines, and crank seals like to leak on these saws too. Hopefully, it's just a simple re-tuning of the carb. PS-5100's are screaming lean out of the box. Keep in mind, there are some equipment manufacturers that won't warranty carb adjustments. It's up to dealer to "good will" the adjustment, or charge labor. Our shop for example, we would normally perform the carb adjustments at no charge providing the equipment was purchased from us.

having a problem with my 7900 came to lean would not stay running .i guess your saying your saw is running lean to .called my dealer told me to trim the limiter cap and turn it out would be ok i guess he cant be bothered i said would it void the warranty and he said no that is up to him and he said go ahead and do it well i did and it is running better .

So it sounds like I shouldn't run it until the dealer takes a look at it. Can you burn up a saw by having the low adjustment out of wack? I would like to see them put a tach on it also just for my piece of mind.

It will idle down fine if I turn the idle screw out and even to the point where it wont idle on its own. Not to say there couldn't be an air leak though. Best to have the dealer check it out that way it is documented. Cover myself in case I have another problem like this down the road.

That and the other problems that are discussed here makes me nervous when I am running this thing.

Back