Dont be this guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This wasn't an estimate, nobody knew that's what was going on. Some random jackwagon, driving an unmarked car, casing houses, yes he's going to get attention in my neighborhood. Yes, the cops are getting called if he's ****** when people ask what he's doing there. This is 100% the correct response, and exactly why I bought a house here. We look out for each other.

If he doesn't want that response, then YES, he has a duty to inform people why he's there.

"I'm with Friendly's Tree Service, just doing estimates from my own car today. Wasn't expecting to be in the field, so I just wore office clothes, not a uniform shirt. Here's my business card, give me a call when you're ready for your own estimate."

Easy.
I re-read the original post. It isn't clear whether he was asked to give an estimate or not. It's possible he had nothing better to do than ride around a random residential neighborhood guessing what trees they may want cut, and giving out a random quote for a tree the owner may or may not want cut. I find it unlikely based on the fact that tree companies tend to be very busy, and this would be a waste of time, effort and fuel. Also why did he drive to this random neighborhood unannounced and only give out one estimate? If he was driving around wouldn't multiple neighbors have received estimates/quotes? If he was "casing" the place, the police would have found notes with items to steal in his car. Doesn't sound ,like that was the case.

I think he was called and asked to look at a specific tree to give a price. Likely drove slowly to look at the tree from different sides.

Maybe the OP can verify that part of the story.

I also think you overestimate how "professional" many tree companies are. Many don't spend thousands on advertising with fancy lettered shirts and lettered trucks. Probably a young kid starting out that wanted to get back home to see his kids.

Moving the goalpost. Whether he's just getting started, or has any kind of advertising budget, has nothing to do with the matter at hand.

You originally disagreed with me about why a stranger, looking like he's casing houses in a neighborhood, should notify neighbors about who he is and why he's there. I explained why he should, and why I support the cops being called on a person who looks like they're just a jackwagon casing houses.

He can get business cards for free, and pass them out with a good attitude, also for free.

Moving the goalpost. Whether he's just getting started, or has any kind of advertising budget, has nothing to do with the matter at hand.

You originally disagreed with me about why a stranger, looking like he's casing houses in a neighborhood, should notify neighbors about who he is and why he's there. I explained why he should, and why I support the cops being called on a person who looks like they're just a jackwagon casing houses.

He can get business cards for free, and pass them out with a good attitude, also for free.
If you say so. We had a family business for 20 years. I did many of the night time and weekend free quotes. I never felt the need to notify neighbors why I was there measuring something. Have you ever owned a business? Done free quotes?

The thought of notifying a whole neighborhood in order to give out a free estimate is idiotic. Drive house to house telling them you’ll be over at the Johnson’s measuring gutters. Gtfoh

That's not what I said either. When someone asks you what you're doing in their neighborhood, don't be a **** about it. Yes, wtf you're doing in their neighborhood is their business, and yes you owe them an answer when they ask.

Yes, I run a side business, and my day job is a sales rep. I do quotes all day long.

If this was a kid just getting started or someone that is in the business, they would NOT last long in my part of the country. This is part of the problem of today as people have lost common curtesy as well as use language that is offensive to begin with. When anyone works for the public, they must understand they will be in the spotlight of others numerous times. If this was my neighbor and they told me this guy reacted to them that way, they would NOT get my job even if rock bottom priced with guarantees all over the place. I can get services ANYWHERE with numerous prices, guarantees, promises etc. but I can tell a lot about a person or a business they represent by their attitude. I have hired many, many businesses to do work for me in my lifetime as a homeowner that I hadn't the time or expertise to do and found that I have had to redo much of what was done even with promises and guarantees. NOW, all of my work that I cannot do is done by a guy I learned about from "WORD OF MOUTH." He doesn't advertise at all and never has but has built a reputable business that keeps his crews very busy. I started hiring him when he was doing most of the work himself and now, he has numerous crews without a single add for business. What he knows and understands is that I am the BOSS of any job that I hire him to do, and he knows I am not going to pay for a job up front and will judge the total experience when doing so. ALL service business relies a lot on the public and the word of mouth soon catches up with them BIG or small as people tell it all. This very scenario is one in which I suspect the homeowner as well as the rest of that neighborhood now knows the attitude of this business or it's employees and "IF" they actually got the job it will probably be the last in that neighborhood and others as the words of mouth travel wide and far.

The thought of notifying a whole neighborhood in order to give out a free estimate is idiotic. Drive house to house telling them you’ll be over at the Johnson’s measuring gutters. Gtfoh

I see the disconnect here. I didn't mean the guy giving estimates should run around, knock on everyone's door in the neighborhood, and tell them why he's there. I meant when a neighbor comes up and asks him what he's doing, tell them, and be polite about it.

"Don't be a ****" would eliminate so many issues in this world.

Latest posts

Back