Don't store Saws on Concrete!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phish is that you?? No mystery here. More frequent the use, the less likely to corrode. Add some bar oil, sap, saw dust and it acts just like armor. Used to coat undersides of cars with used motor oil and run them up and down dirt roads for corrosion protection. Now if you don’t run the saw for what ever reason….

. Used to coat undersides of cars with used motor oil and run them up and down dirt roads for corrosion protection….

That's very strange to me.... I've never heard of such a fashion, and I've always thought that oil+dust compounds is something that must be cleaned! You're saying that tick layer is corrosion protective??? Sure??

Thanks for your explanation...

Hello Rusty Jones, goodbye rusty car. Ziebart: it’s us or rust. I still know of a mom and pop shop that does oil undercoating. Last time I checked, they were still in business. They use 5 to 7 gal of hydraulic oil on your vehicle and your car will drip for days. Something out of an Al Gore nightmare.

I've seen couple of saws ruined (that were given to me for parts) from being stored sitting on a concrete floor.

I guess I'm old school but after seeing how the bottom case of the chainsaws saws were reduced to a corrosion type white powder and holes in the block I cannot store a saw or even a battery in direct contact with concrete for long term storage.

Holes in the block? Got any pics?

This was about 20 years ago from a Bro in Law, couple of little homelites (one was a homelite, not sure of the other one) and they have since been thrown away.
When he offered them to me for parts he said they were on a concrete floor under a pile of other stuff and he was drop jawed when he seen them as he picked them up off the concrete. He indicated it might have been due to sulfuric acid from battery acid in the concrete not realizing it might have just been the concrete only. He indicated they been next to the concrete floor for quite awhile (probably 5 years or more) in a outside garage storage building.

The bottoms of the saws had the paint gone in the places of corrosion and white powdery corrosion and the places in the block where the holes were through were porous around the edges of the holes and flaky weak. (might have been battery acid)
Every time I go to sit a saw or anything down on concrete floor I remember the site of those two saws. and I also see concrete floors really sweat in Okla high humidity summertime.

Phish is that you?? No mystery here. More frequent the use, the less likely to corrode. Add some bar oil, sap, saw dust and it acts just like armor. Used to coat undersides of cars with used motor oil and run them up and down dirt roads for corrosion protection. Now if you don’t run the saw for what ever reason….
Steel responds a bit differently than magnesium, I'd bet. Old leaky cars don't rust right under or around the motor area, though. I remember plenty of that.

This was about 20 years ago from a Bro in Law, couple of little homelites (one was a homelite, not sure of the other one) and they have since been thrown away.
When he offered them to me for parts he said they were on a concrete floor under a pile of other stuff and he was drop jawed when he seen them as he picked them up off the concrete. He indicated it might have been due to sulfuric acid from battery acid in the concrete not realizing it might have just been the concrete only. He indicated they been next to the concrete floor for quite awhile (probably 5 years or more) in a outside garage storage building.

The bottoms of the saws had the paint gone in the places of corrosion and white powdery corrosion and the places in the block where the holes were through were porous around the edges of the holes and flaky weak. (might have been battery acid)
Every time I go to sit a saw or anything down on concrete floor I remember the site of those two saws. and I also see concrete floors really sweat in Okla high humidity summertime.
It's not the concrete, it's the moisture that does the damage.:cool:

Latest posts

Back