Double barrel shotgun muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not go into production with your double barrel muffler mod? you could make money on it just because people would want a cool looking muffler. In general terms, you should get a patent on the mod you created, start selling modded mufflers on ebay an get rich off the idea. Sound good to you?

That's one "Kick A$$" mod, and good picture.

Glens...funny....great idea!
Now you gave me a smokin' idea.

SedanMan, I have a scope you can put on it.

How about a Glass Back on that little 026?? Like the ones you would soak in oil and go out on the street after you burned them clean...

Later,
Chris

Well, i put it to the wood today. All I have to say is DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN! There seems to be a lot more power. But empirical data is not available to back up my seat of the pants observation. The maple I cut was already bucked but at 31" diameter, my 81 year old boss could not move the peices. I was asked to quarter the rounds. I made about 3 wheelbarrows of curly fries. Krylon barbeque paint is awesome for chainsaw mufflers. The paint smokes when first heated then is soft for a while. Heat sets the paint to a nice hard finish.

They are the standard bucking spikes for those saws on the US market.  Makita would only subsidize Dolmar if they'd buy up all of Worf's extra Batleths when Star Trek the Next Generation went out of production, and find a way to incorporate them into a new saw design.  The rest is history.

To complete the ensemble, sedanman couldn't decide which style of phaser to emulate, so he went with the old standby double-barrel shotgun look.  It's actually a little out of keeping with the motif, but it's "universally" understood.

Glen

If you were real sharp you'd put chokes in those barrels and you could claim you have a tuneable muffler, but once you've shown your idea on the A.S. anybody can make it. So how many could you sell? LOL BTW having these muffler mods. makes these saws illegal to use on any State or National forest. The EPA thing is big on the west coast and coming soon to all.

what got my attention was mention of the 13000 rev limiter..is this something that the saw builders can eliminate.
just curious

Originally posted by tony marks
what got my attention was mention of the 13000 rev limiter..is this something that the saw builders can eliminate.
just curious

The rev limiter is set at 13,500 rpm. As I understand it the only way around this obstacle is a new coil. They are being researched as to what might cross over big time from what I am told. I don't know if this is such a big deal for the logger/arborist, racing maybe. Even modded 7900's I don't think will see over 13,000 rpm in the cut cutting over 18" or so wood. Now smaller wood.........that may be an issue!

I tried these over and under muffler mods on a couple of my Huskies and my crew of Mexicans made me some big denairo the last few days. Thanks for the pictures so I could see how to do this. My welds have a few more dog nuts than the one in the pictures but it don't matter as long as the saws work good. Fred

hey rich.. are u sayin this saw ill hold 13000 in fairly heavy cut..ive only seen these on shelves but i had no idea they could hold that rpm ..another poster said his was holding 13500. in pin oak an cherry etc.. if they will do that ,,im looking forward to seeing one in action.. i would have never thot a wood saw could hold that kinda rpm..if so i guess this ole boy will get to learn a new trick.:)

The only choke I happen to use are Teagues My Perazzi's and winchester 21's love'm but haven't had any made for a muffler YET.
I will have to call my boy over seas and see what he can come up with.
Paul you did a nice job with the rib.

Originally posted by tony marks
hey rich.. are u sayin this saw ill hold 13000 in fairly heavy cut..ive only seen these on shelves but i had no idea they could hold that rpm ..another poster said his was holding 13500. in pin oak an cherry etc.. if they will do that ,,im looking forward to seeing one in action.. i would have never thot a wood saw could hold that kinda rpm..if so i guess this ole boy will get to learn a new trick.:)

Tony, I was stating that a modded 7900 would probably never see over 13,000 rpm in the cut, on wood say over 10" or so. But, get into real small stuff it may go over and hit the rev limiter. I have no facts to base this assumption on, but rather my own thoughts on the subject.

paul,
looks pretty cool. did you buy an extra muffler and modify it just in case your mods did not pan out or is that the only muffler? the reason i ask is because i would like to run the stock for three cuts than run the mod for three cuts in 8x8 squared cants to find the gain(if any). marty

Marty, I modded the only mufler I had but I do have a stock one coming so a head to head comparason will be possible. When it gets here, I'll let you know so we can set something up.

Mark, I still have some of the tubing left. Yours for the asking, installation included for you as I owe you at least one favor. Paul

Once LAMEBERT gets my 066's in the mail I will send out one muffler or drop it off. This way here you can do the mod and give me a nice SPEED BAGG'N all in one shot. Thanks

You know sedanman, you are a real heart breaker... lol. I was doing a search on custom muffler mods and ran across this thread. I just modded a 55 rancher with two 3/8 ID "barrels" and was all proud until I saw this thread. I should have known that someone else would have thought along the same lines as myself. Anyways, your's looks better than mine. Mine are welded on the outside and do not protrude into the case of the muffler at all. I did drill a hole, so it was just fit inside, but not stick way in like yours appears to. So, in all heartbroken honesty, yours looks better than mine. I may have to make some revisions.

Steve

Latest posts

Back