doug fir

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poleframer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got a salvage permit from the Forest Service to get a big doug fir that came down last year, broke across the road. Been driving past it for too long, and wanted it if I could get it. Its about 5miles from my house, today I picked up the piece of the top that busted on the cutbank.The pieces I loaded today were 30" thick. It goes another 120' up the hill, over 48" at the butt. Nice tight grained old growth.

Heres some pics of getting a load today

Very cool !!

Following your plan to get a permit and seeing it through is the difference of dreamers and doers.

I'm sure it gives encouragement to everyone here to get up and follow through with plans.

Great job, thanks for the pics.:clap:

Got a salvage permit from the Forest Service to get a big doug fir that came down last year, broke across the road. Been driving past it for too long, and wanted it if I could get it. Its about 5miles from my house, today I picked up the piece of the top that busted on the cutbank.The pieces I loaded today were 30" thick. It goes another 120' up the hill, over 48" at the butt. Nice tight grained old growth.

Heres some pics of getting a load today

NICE SCORE!!!!!!!!! SUH WEEEEETTTT!!!

Count me in as drooling over your loader !!!

I see some timber framing in the future????

This is what I was talking about "third sawing". I'm thinking of slicing it on the hill. The trunk points down the hill, straight at the road at a mild slope. I'm thinking of bucking lengths, and ripping the chunks in place. I'd make a rip to center 60* off plumb down one side, then the same down the opposite side, slide out the top 1/3 (120*), then cut plumb down the middle of the other thirds.
Now I would have pieces that I can put in the mill and plainsaw for mostly VG.
You don't want to know what i paid for the permit :biggrinbounce2:

...You don't want to know what i paid for the permit :biggrinbounce2:

Actually... I am curious what a permit costs for all that wood out there. Nice score whatever you paid for it, lots of beautiful doug fir. You do see an occasional doug fir out here on east coast somebody planted, but they usually don't do real well , and they certainly don't grow as tall as they do out there. I'd have a field day with that one.

Latest posts

Back