Drift HD camera

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know Dan there's a big part of me that was delighted to read your response, the part thats constantly looking over my shoulder.

Along the same lines I tell the guys/climbers that I work with around here that the wrench and SRT is really tough, but that I've got it on trial by way of a favour to a dealer. I'm not gonna say any more about it.

Reg, are you being a smart ass?:msp_rolleyes:

Hey Reg, any new production or one in the works with the new remote mic that goes with the Drift?

Right now Dave I'm just glad for stringing a couple of days work together, never mind camera stuff. It is absolutely dead right now, 2 days a week at best....and those who are actually busy its just little stuff, fruit trees etc....

I can see I'm going to have to branch out a little, didn't want to go down the road of starting a full on Tree Service but the current situation is forcing my hand.

I did try the mic right here and it is actually a big improvement.

Right now Dave I'm just glad for stringing a couple of days work together, never mind camera stuff. It is absolutely dead right now, 2 days a week at best....and those who are actually busy its just little stuff, fruit trees etc....

I can see I'm going to have to branch out a little, didn't want to go down the road of starting a full on Tree Service but the current situation is forcing my hand.

I did try the mic right here and it is actually a big improvement.

You'd make a great company owner. Can you sell work?

You'd make a great company owner. Can you sell work?

Thanks, and I think so Dave....at least I try to give people options and explain things in a way that leaves the next bidder with a lot to live up to. Even on the practical side of the treework itself, I want them to consider/compare the next bidders methodology to mine whether conciously or not. Its worked time over so long as its not too long winded.

Thanks, and I think so Dave....at least I try to give people options and explain things in a way that leaves the next bidder with a lot to live up to. Even on the practical side of the treework itself, I want them to consider/compare the next bidders methodology to mine whether conciously or not. Its worked time over so long as its not too long winded.

Makes sense Reg. Didn't think you couldn't sell, just didn't think you had much experience with it (sorry for the triple negative :)....being you were predominantly a subcontractor.

Makes sense Reg. Didn't think you couldn't sell, just didn't think you had much experience with it (sorry for the triple negative :)....being you were predominantly a subcontractor.

Yeah I've always done jobs on the side Dave, just never pushed in that direction. And of course I've helped many, many times where the main contractor has been unsure as how to approach a particular job.

Also, being a sub-contractor Ive had the privilege of observing dozens of fantastic tree/salesmen over the years....so many characters playing to their strengths of unique personality. Out of all I'd go so far as to say that a more recent associate was even a 'genius' at reeling people in, whether they be just passers-by, folks waiting in a queue at a store or even working at the store....Andrew would talk his way into the minds of total strangers and by the week after we'd be at there place cutting the trees.

Of course I'd never attempt to impersonate or copy anyone elses style, but I do believe I've learnt a lot by just watching time over.

Change your youtube settings to HD for better quality....bottom right corner of the video screen. Otherwise it will look like ccrap.

Some footage from an Arbutus Tree removal just recently: Treework - Drift HD camera.wmv - YouTube

The camera is the Drift HD: Drift HD Camera - Small HD Action Camera From Drift Innovation - PointofViewCameras Vancouver BC Canada

The wide angled lens makes for dizzy viewing at times until you get used it, then its actually watchable in the sense that you get to see everything that the climber sees.

The HD obviously brings out the colour better than my old camera, but having said that it also looks a little blurry and lacks the sharpness in motion. The sound is very weak and nasal; the files are massive; the wrist remote was not reliable at all as I realised later that I'd missed lots of clips where I thought it was recording....maybe I'll try a new battery and a plug-in microphone next time.

The camera unit itself which fixes on top of your helmet is surprisingly light and compact.... and the domed shape lens doesn't seem to collect the sawdust which is also a big plus for shooting treework.

Overall I think its pretty good value for money, and a relatively cheap option for anyone looking to make a budget video to promote their business.

The tree-work in the video is nothing too fast or exciting....I just tried to show a little climbing and organizing to showcase the wide field-of-view that the lens offers. Arbutus can be of very slow, taper (as was this one), yet evidently very strong...much like a Euc in fact except with bushier foliage.

Reg, looks like you were cutting down a pacific Madrone, were you at ?.....Oh, and nice vid, like the new cam, clean looking vid.

Back