my first video, and lessons learned

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
[video=youtube;R0nOSygtyos]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0nOSygtyos[/video]

So I bought one of these time lapse cameras, with the wide angle lense because we've just put a website up and I wanted some content. I got the idea from another AS member whos videos look great (bonner1040). I wish I could say this was my first video, but it's the 5th or 6th. The first ones turned out awful for different reasons, and I wish I'd have known earlier how to do some pretty basic things to make a decent video. I missed out on some one off opportunities to record some tree work due to just doing stupid stuff, but I think I've got the hang of it (sort of). In no particular order here are some things I learned;

Keep the sun behind the camera! I lost the first couple vids to shooting directly into the sun. You can barely see anything.

Get the camera up high. The top of your chip bin is not a bad place to start. From the ground the angle is silly.

Start cutting the branches close to the camera first if you can, or put the camera in a place so that it's on the side you'll start cutting first (but still with the sun behind it). If you climb up and start cutting the far side, you'll see nothing till the last few branches (doh! there goes another vid).

The wide angle lense is pretty awful. It's only barely sharp in the centres, and very blurry towards the outside. Bare that in mind when framing your shot.

Take a bit of time to frame your shot, its harder than it seems. Make sure you put the camera somewhere the guys wont knock it over :-(

Getting the video online will take longer than doing the tree. This small jacaranda which is my first successful vid took me about 20min to do the tree, and about an hour and a half to snip the empty beginning and end off, make the title screen, closing screen, pick the music, shrink the size down and upload to youtube. Hopefully that will improve.

Don't buy a camera the day before doing a cool take down. It just wont work.

Why don't they have portrait format video? Landscape just doesnt work for tree videos!

Shaun

Last edited:
I thought it was well done, good music for the AM with a cup of coffee.
Nice job, looks like you kept things smooth, safe, and neat.

Is that a mini mac, it looks yellow, if so someone should rep you for it.

I've got another thing to add to the list.....

When you're composing, try to do it in such a way that you get the sky as the background to the tree - not just another tree behind it. If you've got other trees behind the tree you're working, it's really hard to make out exactly what's been removed, especially on a trim job, and even more so if the tree in the background is of the same species and fairly close together. If you can have the camera in a spot where the tree you're working has the sky as a backdrop you see a lot more detail.

Shaun

Man, you are the fastest climbing arborist I've ever seen! Play a pretty mean guitar too!

Man, you are the fastest climbing arborist I've ever seen! Play a pretty mean guitar too!

No joke, you must have some spider monkey blood in ya. I thought you done a great job on the vid. A lot better than i could do. :msp_thumbsup::msp_thumbsup::msp_thumbsup::msp_thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back