Drolet Myriad and Austral

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntindog1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If any of you guys are looking for a new stove that heats like the old steel stoves of the past but still meets EPA emissions I would point you to the Drolet Myriad or Austral stove. These stoves really throw the heat well as they have not insulated the firebox to the point it doesnt radiate heat well. Whats really impressive even when the stove is down to a few coals it still throws usable heat. This stove has a bypass damper which lets you get a new load started easily and fast on just a few coals if needed. These stoves just use a stainless steel baffle to inject the preheated secondary air but they didnt insulate the baffle like some stoves, so the stove can radiate much more heat out the top of the stove. Plus the firebox only has a limited amount of firebrick and alot of the firebox up at the top doesnt have firebrick to hold the heat in. So it radiates heat really well for a EPA type stove.

Also the input air control on these stoves has alot of control and you can snuff the fire if needed as my old EPA wouldnt do that. A nice feature that I like. I can now load up on a hotter bed of coals and still control my fire. I have had my stove since late last winter. Its working out nicely.

72795.jpg
Austral_001-XLarge.jpg

I have the Drolet HT-2000 I think it there largest. I am on my third year after 30 years with a Vermont Castings Defient . The HT-2000 is a very efficient stove. load it at 9:30 and have a good bed of coals in the morning.Much cleaner burn and l have not experienced the creosote that I got with the Vermont.

Here in a couple weeks this is what i'll be purchasing to put in our home. Just not sure which one! Thank you for the review

I think you will like the Drolet stoves just size it rite for your needs.When I got my Drolet both Northern Tool and Manards sold them. Northern Tool had them on sale but if i did not want to pay shipping I would have to drive 60 miles to get it.Manards is 8 miles and they matched Northerns price.Do your shopping and stay warm.

Looking at that picture something seems off with the bypass damper lever & flaps. I know with mine if i leave the handle on it will open by itself from the weight of gravity. If i take the round wire metal handle off then its light enough to remain closed. In that picture the handle goes down to close but on my stove it goes up to close.
Curious...

That might have been an early design concept cad drawing. Your right the actual end result is the flap opens the other way and the handle goe sthe other way.
It makes sense as if the flap worked the way in the cad drawing putting wood in while bypass damper is open could damage the flapper. Its actually open the other in the stoves we have and that was most likely their final design from testing out their design. As if it opens the other way it you push wood back against it it will just close and not damage it.

You might email drolet to ask about the damper opening on its own.

Looking at that picture something seems off with the bypass damper lever & flaps. I know with mine if i leave the handle on it will open by itself from the weight of gravity. If i take the round wire metal handle off then its light enough to remain closed. In that picture the handle goes down to close but on my stove it goes up to close.
Curious...

On Page 31 of the owners manual it says at the bottom of the page "Never leave the removable handle into the small rod extension unless you are building a fire or reloading the unit"

Glad I read that as I would have left it on, thought I would just pass this on.

that handle is a pain in the ass to get fitted on there, specially if the stove is hot. Doesn't seem like a very well thought out design to me.

Drolet makes nice stuff I have their EPA heatmax furnace and love it . I've always heard the ht2000 is one awesome stove

I love the HT2000 it heats both the basement {walk out} and first floor 2200 Sq.Ft. with out a problem.the remainder of the heat goes up stairs when I leave the door open. As I said before no problem heating the house for 8 to 10 hours on one load, stove holds coals a long time and gives off heat. Heres some pics of my wood burners the Ashley does not get used much.

Attachments

• 100_4180.jpg
    100_4180.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_4178.jpg
    100_4178.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 22
Back