Drop it in the river

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunthawkdog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My father in law lives on the Des Moines river and with the high water last year it exposed the root system on some huge trees when they go naturaly they take a big chunk of earth with. He wants me to drop them becuse the road is already to close to the river when these trees fall the road will be even closer . the county gravel road is between his house and the river . do yall think its aginst the law to cut trees in the ditch and dropem in the river ,or are we doing the county a favor. he hates to lose the trees but with the holes theyll make when they fall the county will probably move the road into his front yard that would not be good , what do yall think

present your idea and reasoning to the county. They may take care of the problem for you.

I was driving by a homeowner just the other day who decided to do some tree work. I'm not sure of the details but the Park Police did not look too happy. X2 on talking to the local county officials. They might even do the work for you. Around here, dropping trees in the river is never looked on favorably. Boaters get really pissed.

do you plan on dropping them in the river ,then hauling em out for processing ,or firewood? if so I wouldnt see a problem ,but to just drop them and let somebody downstream deal with the possible snags or flow blocking potential would be criminal

I do lots of work on the Mississippi, we need a permit just to touch a tree down there, even if it is in someones yard, its all Core of Engineer property. If you remove a tree with out their permission, jail. Drop on in the river and leave it, jail.
x3 on the County, cover dat arse.

Unless you like getting your tit in a wringer call the county. There is a law or rule against just about everything.

My father in law lives on the Des Moines river and with the high water last year it exposed the root system on some huge trees when they go naturaly they take a big chunk of earth with. He wants me to drop them becuse the road is already to close to the river when these trees fall the road will be even closer . the county gravel road is between his house and the river . do yall think its aginst the law to cut trees in the ditch and dropem in the river ,or are we doing the county a favor. he hates to lose the trees but with the holes theyll make when they fall the county will probably move the road into his front yard that would not be good , what do yall think

Can you safely drop it, not in the river, then cut it up and haul it off or use it for firewood? More work but maybe better than putting it in the river.

I retierd from a Watershed group here two years ago after serving 14 years on it and there is a certain distance you have to be from any rivers (here in Washington State) for cutting down trees

Latest posts

Back