Dropped a 60" cottonwood today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cottonwood was used in buildings quite a bit years ago--but it wont stand being near a high moisture area--it will rot---unless you can find some preservative to treat it with--should have bought mucho penta preservative years ago----------------------------

You are right, it won't hold up to exterior use moisture or other dampness. It is good on sheltered use though [interior] and supprisingly strong. I have used 2x8's for roof planks and scaffold planks. Stronger than lumberyard boards but I cut a full 2" and full 8".

When I was 19 or 20 I worked at a saw mill for few months one winter. There was nothing worse then seeing the cottonwoods being loaded up. I worked the end of the conveyor stacking as they came off the saw. At the end is where the 10+ (normally 12-16') foot long slabs were pulled off the line. I will tell you there is not a slab of wood heavier then a 4"x36"x16' piece of cottonwood. I dont miss those monsters at all.

What is the biggest cottonwood you guys have seen?? I will measure the largest one of these the next time that we are out there, the last one was 181" around at 4' from ground, atually measured right at 60" when we measured it after the cut.

Trost66 - either the 3 of you are really short or that is one big honk'in tree. I think my log lifter would roll over and die with a slice off of that thing.

Hey man thats a big one!! I will have to get the tape out, I think that we might be pretty darn close to that size with several of ours. I am a thinking that my 660 is not going to be enough though. Priced an 880 today, was not as much as I thought. Stihl a bunch a bones though.

Back