Drowning Chainsaw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kikori

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone know CPR? I was doing a job where a large willow collapsed into a pond and while trying to extract as much of the tree as I could the tree shifted and my saw got pinched and emersed into the H2O! I let it dry out all day but alass she won't start. Dried out the spark plug pretty good.

Does anyone have any advice on this one? Anyone had excperience in this area? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Much thanks for suggestions, good stories or even a little sympathy!

Should be OK after a through drying out, is the switch on?;)

I raced R/C boats for a while, they would flip in a heartbeat and go in full throttle and most times be running in a few minutes.

We took out the plug and held the engine upsidedown and pulled the rope a dozen times or so.

Fresh gas and prime them and they were none the worse for wear.:rockn:

flush out the fuel tank, oil tank, pull the sparkplug and hold the saw plug hole down and crank it a bunch to make sure the crankcase is clear. fill her up like normal and put a squirt of *mixed* fuel down the carb and try starting. avoid starting fluid at ALL cost as that will take your rings out in a 2cycle (or any engine for that matter) she should fire up but may sound like heck and stall till the carb gets full of fuel again.

If you can't get it started, slosh Isopropal Alcohol 70% around in the crankcase and cylinder (and tank), then dump out. That will take out any trapped water. If you don't thing are going to start to rust (bearings, rings etc)...

WD40 the heck out of the clutch and other external parts.

H2O Bath

What the recoil rope? This will rot if not quickly dried. I had an 028 go for a swim with out a flotation device. Only I had this experiance in a mid winter in central NY.Ken

Friend of mine lost control riding an old 500cc Yamaha. He left the track at about 20 mph, right into a swamp. Completely submerged for about 15 min,it was hard to pull it out. We drained what we could and took turns wearing out our legs kicking it over. took us two days to get it going and then it was fine.
Mark:dizzy: :help:

Kikori said:
Does anyone know CPR? I was doing a job where a large willow collapsed into a pond and while trying to extract as much of the tree as I could the tree shifted and my saw got pinched and emersed into the H2O! I let it dry out all day but alass she won't start. Dried out the spark plug pretty good.

Does anyone have any advice on this one? Anyone had excperience in this area? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Much thanks for suggestions, good stories or even a little sympathy!
what kind of saw is it? where at in minn?

Many Thanks!

Well I did all that was suggested and NO goods. Thank you all for the advice. Much appreiciated. I gave up and brought her in to the doctor. Hope all comes out well.

In twin cities. Hopin for a good report!

Kikori said:
Well I did all that was suggested and NO goods. Thank you all for the advice. Much appreiciated. I gave up and brought her in to the doctor. Hope all comes out well.

In twin cities. Hopin for a good report!

Terribly sorry Kikori:cry: Most of the time, 9.5 out of 10, they nail it, these guys are good!!! Good luck with it:D
Andy

Have you got compression?

If the engine was running when it hit the water, it may have sucked water into the cylinder - if it was running fast enough, then the cyclinder might have locked as water is incompressible. Generally the pin, crank or con-rod get twisted.

This happens a lot to cars, and I could just about see it happening to a 2 stroke if it was going fast enough when it hit the drink.

This usually dosent happen to 2smokes. The water usually collects enough in the crancase to first make the motor cough then the water hits the plug and it stops. This usually happens within 2-3 revs of ingestion.

Not saying it couldnt happen, just that its a given in a 4stroke and rare in a two.:clap:

Latest posts

Back