Drum chipper bearing noise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hd_rmblz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I own an older fitchberg 15 inch. drum chipper. I've rebuilt the hole machine with the exception of the drum bearings. The chipper is a total monster. My ???? is concerning the bearings. What, if any sound should come from the bearings? When I power the drum to chipping speeds it creates a fairly loud roar. Thanks for any help. Mike

Out of round or unbalanced drum perhaps?
Bearings should have no play or else they are junk. Did you inspect them before putting it all back together?

Engage the drum to slow speed then shut off the motor and let the drum spin freely with no engine noise. You should be able to get a good sense of what the bearings are like by the sound they make while all else is quiet.

Every Drum Chipper i have ever heard had a roar to it something about the air being developed by the knives.

Hmm, Yes, what David said. Drums roar, Most discs whine. If you want to listen to bearings then you need to pay attention as the drum or disc winds down with the power off. When the speed gets low enough that the air cavitatio isn't severe you canlisten to the bearings-for squeaks growls and hisses. Squeaks and growls are bad. If you hear a clicking or thumping don't panic immediately-it is probably just a piece of wood hung up on a knife.

WOW -- SHouldn't a chipper just chip .. And not have all these problems, of whining, growling or wheezing . MINE just runs about 35 tons an hour with no complaints

Back