Drying Honey Locust...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the stuff. Burns real good, but unlike its cousin Black, it tends to leave quite a bit of lumpy ash behind. Keep it dry as possible. The sap wood rots fast. Enjoy!

I've noticed several of you keep wood 3 years. It doesn't last long back here in Southeastern Oklahoma. To much moisture, and insects. A couple of years in the woodstack, and it becomes a mess.

I've noticed several of you keep wood 3 years. It doesn't last long back here in Southeastern Oklahoma. To much moisture, and insects. A couple of years in the woodstack, and it becomes a mess.
I would venture a guess that your local environment drys wood down to burnable levels in a couple years easily. Certain kinds of wood won't last beyond a year or two around here also, at least if left unsplit.
A good example of needing 3 years (+) I put a load of white Oak in for the overnight fire last night, most of it is dry as can be, but had a sizzler last night.

Back