drying wood piles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as size, 6 cords is about what is needed to get through a German winter.

Thanks for commenting,
Rob
That would probabley be about right as far as comsumption.I recently spend about 2 years on a large project working with German engineers,technicians and computer weenies.Most were from the Breman area and the winters are maybe just a tad warmer there than here in northern Ohio,from what they said.

Interesting method of stacking wood.What works in Germany would work on this side of the big pond.

My grandfather-in-law used to stack it that way. I never saw how he actually stacked it but that's what the wood piles looked like.

He was from the Czech Republic, near to Germany, so I can see the connection.

He had a porch on his ~700 sq ft house that was about 400 sq ft! It was filled with wood, literally, all packed, twined, and stacked in cardboard fruit boxes for easy tranfer into the house, with his haystack piles in the wings outside. It was a beautiful site.

:cheers:

piles

I put my wood in one big pile. My pile was 40w x 80L x15 high in the middle. I et it si close to a year and the wood is dry even in the middle. I never have any complaints from people about the way it burns and I get some picky people. So I doubt you will have any trouble.

Scott

I have enough wood stacked up that has been drying all spring and most of the summer . Now I just lay pallets on the ground and throw the wood on top of the pallets , 6 feet high -15 feet wide right now , I was just wondering how would it dry .

I was just wondering kind of wood do you have ? Mine is all mixed hard wood , any wood I can get .

What do you think about adding pine ? I see alot of people on this site that seem to not like pine but I have burned it and it seems to burn pretty good after it has seasoned . I like burning pine too and it seems to burn hot but not long .
I cut alot of hackberry , locust and walnut too about 30% because it is so much around here .

I like your set up , Im just starting this year so im a little green, Thanks for the reply .

Last edited:
Mine is all hard wood. Oak hickory and a bit of ash and elm. I don't use pallets because it would make it hard to load with a skid steer.

Scott

couple of pics now the cubes are empty, one of them shows the new roof which we just filled with logs stops the water building up and sagging. still thinking about adding support with some 2 x 1" and coach screws to the sides when we cut the opening

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back