DS Boiler Outside?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrHerrman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I posted this question in the fall but did not get much response, so I thought I would try it again. I am getting nearer and nearer putting a boiler outside with climbing fuel prices.

I have been thinking about buying an OWB for next season but need to budget for one unitl then. I have access to free wood and enjoy cutting, so I don't have a problem working for my heat. I was looking at a Heatmor 200, but it would be about $7600. So my question is why couldn't I put an indoor wood boiler outside and build a shed around it to heat my home?

Here's why I ask. My friend got an indoor wood boiler from a local and reliable amish company (DS Stoves) here in SE PA. It is a very large (1100 pounds) boiler with a large firebox and he heats a 300 year old stone house (like ours) with hot water radiators and the stove only cost $3000. The stove keeps his house toasty with automatic air control.

My question is why couldn't I buy one of these stoves and for a couple hundred bucks build an insulated shed around it out of metal. I could have the same boiler in an insulated, weatherproof shelter even big enough for a weeks supply of wood for half the cost. Why couldn't this work and what are your thoughts?

If you have any pictures of your similar setups, please post so I can get some ideas. Thanks

My dad did this years ago

My dad did this years ago. He took a small wood boiler and put about 100 feet from the house in a little block building. We dug the lines in to the basement and ran it through an old car raidator. His only complaint was that it would not hold fire very long. So he/we were always needing to fire the stove. If he would have gotten one with a bigger fire box he would have liked it a lot better. But then again we did live in an old farm house that took a lot of hear. I see no reason this would not work for you. Just get the stove big enough to hold the fire for you. Really when you look at it OWB's can be very simple.

Latest posts

Back