Dual port muffler cover and carb adjustment ms 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodhaven

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just installed the dual port cover and attempted to remove the limiter cap. Got it out part way but wouldn't go any further. It's buggered up pretty good now. Not sure what I did wrong, but it's a mess now. Suggestions on how to get it out?

Thought I did have it lined up. It came part way out then got stuck. Must be a trick to it I'm not doing?

I read that three you just posted. Still not sure what I did wrong. Are the caps threaded on or do you just wiggle and pull them out?

Just pull them out. There are a few little nipples that may be causing some resistance. Just make sure you have the screw threaded in enough to bite into the plastic. Use pliers to pull on screw.

Yeah that's what I did but the screw didn't hold, it pulled out and buggered up the cap in the process. The cap is still in, but I can adjust the carb now. Not sure if the screw will hold over time though. I ordered new caps, but I would still need to get the old one out. Tried a few different adjustments on the H screw. Think I have it set up pretty close to perfect, but not sure. Nervous about going too lean, so I'm probably on the rich side. It's drinking fuel so it might be a tad rich still.

I have the H screw set one full turn out, so a quarter turn past stock setting. The saw just rips now! I fired up my 361 for comparison and it seems slow and weak now. There wasn't a huge difference between the two before, there is now.

Sounds like you got it about right, they do wake those saws up a bit.

I've had trouble getting them out, and others not. I really yanked on one and the little sheet metal cover came off, but I was able to reinstall it, so no problem.

If you 460 does not have an HD-2 filter, you may want to try one of them also. Improving the flow of both intake and exhaust really makes a difference, and porting will make it scream!

Good luck with it.

What 460s came with limiters? I've owned a couple as well as worked on a few and haven't seen that. The newest one probably around 2005ish.

Sounds like you got it about right, they do wake those saws up a bit.

I've had trouble getting them out, and others not. I really yanked on one and the little sheet metal cover came off, but I was able to reinstall it, so no problem.

If you 460 does not have an HD-2 filter, you may want to try one of them also. Improving the flow of both intake and exhaust really makes a difference, and porting will make it scream!

Good luck with it.
Mine has the hd-2 filter already. I would love to have it ported, but not sure who does that kind of thing around here.

My brother has has his 460 for quite a while, and I had to pull the limiters.

Mine has the hd-2 filter already. I would love to have it ported, but not sure who does that kind of thing around here.
on it.

Most of the time people end up shipping them back and forth, but I don't know what it would cost from where you are. Maybe someone knows someone in the area.

Uh, what the heck?

I asked a question because I did not know.

Would it have been that hard to just say they all came from them from the factory and leave your rude little "quip" to yourself?

For what it's worth I had an injury while in the military that affected primarily my short term memory. I deal with it best I can, it's not like it's my choosing. Thanks for being rude about it.

They all come stock with them . that man is kinda lost with his thoughts in his mind all the time.best not ot listen to him.

My brother has has his 460 for quite a while, and I had to pull the limiters.

on it.

Most of the time people end up shipping them back and forth, but I don't know what it would cost from where you are. Maybe someone knows someone in the area.
Well if someone from my area reads this, let me know.

Made another attempt to get the rest of the limiter cap out, no go. Ended up taking the saw apart to get better access to the carb and pulled the rest out in small pieces with hemostat pliers.

I guess as long as it all works out in the end, it does not matter. I cut the tabs and put the limiters back in, but I hear you don't have to do that, but it would have been very difficult to do that w/o pulling the carb.

Latest posts

Back