Dual Port Stihl 460 cover quality

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAWZ

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, Just wondering if anyone encountered this issue. Bought a DP Cover about 2 yrs ago no problems at all. Bought one last week and put in on my new MS460 and within the first 5 mins of being in wood the screws fell out and I lost the screen and retainer tin that holds the screen and covers the hole. I looked at my 2 yr old DP and it has a square piece of metal attached to the back of the cover that the screw goes into the new cover does not just metal screws through metal cover. WoW what cost cutting Chinese design flaw on a brand name OEM Stihl cover. Probably stamped in China rebagged by Stihl. My 2 older 460's have been wearing DP covers and have had no issues since they were installed. Kinda makes you mad when the sock you $39 bucks for a piece of tin that is now obviously cheaply made.

Last edited:
Lost mine on the 440 DP cover. Noticed it when I gassed up the FIRST time after putting it on. :censored:

These are the part #'s for just the cover part that an AS member gave me. These are for the 440 DP cover. They might fit your's as well. I'm sure someone will be along shortly that will know for sure. I will be loctiteing it on (something Stihl should have done in the first place. WDO

screen: 1128-141-9000
bracket: 1128-148-4200
screw: 9099-021-0810

Mine fell off sometime during the first few tanks as well. I just re-tuned and haven't looked back.

So were mine, they were extra tight and I always check parts prior to install I've always been picky. I don't think that locktite is gonna solve the problem either I think that will be too much heat for it to handle. I think I will either gonna do a Lake 361 type mod to the original cover with pipe screen and clamp or if I do replace the screen and parts listed I gonna braze the screw threads or something of that order. I thought about stainless steel pop rivets.

Dad bought one of the first 046s off the dealer shelf the first month they came out. Back then they came from the factory with the dual port cover. It's never come loose. I've never bought a dual port cover since you can mod the muffler without spending what they want for those covers.

yeah, theres plenty off improvent to be easily had with the factory single port.

dual ports a waste of money if you have a few tools at your axcess

Loktite. I lost mine too, then I loktited them. I havent had a chance to use the saw much yet, but I am hopeing that that will fix the problem.

Factory OEM Stihl stamped direct from the local Stihl dealer in a Stihl parts bag for $39 USD. The new one just has holes drilled through the sheet metal with nothing behind it, I wish I knew how to post photos you would immediately see the design flaw of the new cover it was obvious to me since my other older DP covers have worked flawlessly for years. The new one lasted between 1-3 bucking cuts less than 3 mins of use and the screen and retainer and screws were gone. Trying to find the pieces was a lost cause. I guess they will have to come up with a better antivibe system if they want to keep the new DP covers from falling apart.

I just bought one, and was suprised to see those screws as well. I drilled out the holes, and braized nuts on the back.

Well that sucks...

Oh... and BTW... not that anybody cares... but the Dual-port muffler cover was never offered for the 044/440... it was designed for the 046/460 to get a little more grunt out of that saw for big wood. It just happens to fit the 044/440 also... :)

Gary

Well that sucks...

Oh... and BTW... not that anybody cares... but the Dual-port muffler cover was never offered for the 044/440... it was designed for the 046/460 to get a little more grunt out of that saw for big wood. It just happens to fit the 044/440 also... :)

Gary

Interesting:)

Never lost one until last year when we got some for the work saws. I usually pull it apart and hog out the port, so the screws are for sure tight. But the guys that didn't do that and just put the cover on the saw lost the screws. After that, I started checking them as they came in, and on the brand new covers, the screws were a good half turn from tight. After tightening them, haven't lost another. (and this is with like 20 work saws running them)

Latest posts

Back