dumping chips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

City climber

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
How many of you guys have to pay to dump chips.Occasionally we can dump at nurseries,parks etc but most of the time we end up paying to dump ,probably runs around 2 grand a month.does anyone else have this problem.

Our dump grinds their debris into mulch and sells it to the local paper mill. They still charge $4 per yard to dump chips. Greedy B@stards! So we find people with horses or people trying to build up property that will take the chips for free. Between getting a logger to pick up the logs and chipping as much of the waste wood as possible we have almost zero dump fees.

My "request for chips" list usually has people waiting for a week or 2. whenever I get caught up I have one fellow with 25 acres who wants all I can bring. No dump fees :cool:

I know where In nj to dump for free

Let me know where you work out of I have a few spots that take chips. i for one let a local drop at least 20 loads a month and then a mulch place picks them up at my house.

I Have a waiting List for chips and if I'm in the area i can take them free to a landfill.

Last edited:
2 Comments here;

1- Dave I see you are now over 1000 posts, congratulations.

2- Forrest, I thought you were not coming back?

it depends

Sometimes I dump chips for free at the local botanical gardens or w/customers who want them but most of the time I pay to dump them. I used to dump them in neglected patches of property w/out permission. This was great because it reduced drive time.

I was dumping w/out permission at one place that already had 2000+yards of chips and had the local sherriff let me off with a warning. He could have charged me with Class A misdemeanor for dumping and a Class A misdemeanor for criminal trespass.

I consider myself stupid and lucky. Now I really don't mind the dump fees.

Our church cought a guy dumping on some fallow property the region owns. A couple of guys sat out and watched for him a few nights.

He was dumping dirty fill.

Convinced him he should clean it all up and make a donation to the parking lot fund. Graded it out nicely he did.

There are lots of places to dump free still in the MKE area.

Dumping fees

It costs me 20 dollars a dump at K&S landfill. I dont have a chipper though so i have to dump full brush and logs. If I had a chipper I could probably find a place that would take the chippings. Maybe I should get a chipper and use the 20 dollars per dump I would be paying and use the money for the chipper on a loan?...Probably wouldnt even out;)

Barry,

If you have steady tree work it certainly would make sense. A chipper would allow less time fiddling around with brush and carting it to the dump and more time working on trees. Sit down and do the math and see what you find out. Include the $20 tipping fee, but don't forget to figure in the lost man hours in extra brush trips, you may be pleasantly surprised by how much money may be available for a payment.

I do a lot a chips and a lot of brush. Loading brush into a trailer is so labor intensive. You just have to handle it too much. It takes so long to cut down in a trailer over and over......

Latest posts

Back