Dutch Elm Disease ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trtd61

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Got an elm in my backyard that started to leak fluid from the first crotch. Just started doing this this summer. Is all wet and slimy, with what looks like foam stuff (fungus ?) right where the tree splits. I have a sinking feeling this tree's on its way out...:(

Originally posted by Menchhofer
It is slime flux.
Yes, the tree is wounding itself with included bark. this symptom is not a sign that the tree is "on the way out". For goodness sake, don't rush to the worst conclusions. It can stay like that for a long time. Scrubbing off hte slime may improve its looks and lessen bark damage. Reducing one stem (subordination) may make the tree less likely to split at that defect.

Contact your local arborist for comprehensive care that will increase the value of your trees.

Slime Flux is also sometimes called Wetwood.

It is a bacterial disorder that affects many hardwoods, including your backyard elm.

If you want to find countless webpages of information about this disorder, simply type it into any internet search engine. After familiarizing yourself with what it is and what it does, you may want to contact a creditable arborist to aid in further explanation or to rectify the problem!

Thanks everyone, I wasn't sure if this was DED or not cause there were 3 other elms already dead when we moved in here a few years ago. Was worried about this one as it is close to t he house and has a pretty good lean towards house also. If it's saveable i'd like to keep it around for a while.

Has anyone tried this

I have heard that if an Elm looks likes it's on it's way out, if you string a few bird feeders from it the birds will predate on any offending insects etc., that are taking advantage of a tree that's already down on it's luck. The feeders attract the birds and the birds kinda congregate around and eat everything in sight. Sorta like a symbiotic relationship.
It couldn't hurt to try it out.
John

Gotta be worth a shot, I'll hang one. Lost a fairly decent sized branch in storm the other day, (approx. 6") so i can probably expect more nasty oozing i suppose too.

Being called Dutch Elm Disease and all, I would have though elm trees there were devastated or dying like many elms in Germany.

Uhhh, nope, tons of huge elms:confused:

Maybe it is just a catchy name.

Sorry about the derail

The disease was first reported in Holland, is my understanding. Maybe they've had longer to get resistant specimens established?

Here in sweden we also have elm disease, but this is not the first time. If i understand correctly it spreads out , then fades away, only to come back at a later time.
There is an extensive study made i UK about this.
Myself I am only a small fich in the pond, I have taken down 14+26 elm trees, smallest one 80cm across stump, biggest one:
126cm smallest mesurment, 146cm largest.
This is at least for me Big ones. Along the road i took thease there are even bigger, not many left thogh. There was about 250 Trees in 1970, and now 50 left standing. Thay replace elm with Ash trees. 30km around the citys in Sweden are under government control, the rest is landowners responsebilety.

Mange:blob2:

Latest posts

Back