Dutchwest 2461 Gasket Issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fritzhund

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am having a couple of problems installing new gasket material on my Dutchwest 2461 woodstove. The problems are that the doors do not come off to work on in a horizontal position so the gasket materiel wants to fall off, and my biggest problem is getting a clean cut where the gaskets will meet. The rope frays almost right away and I am worried about a leak in this area.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, I appreciate it,

Mark

You're right Mark, working horizontally is a PITA.

Here's some tips ( BTW my drink is Laphroaig :laugh: ):
1. Clean the gasket groove throughly to get as much of the old cement removed. Wire brush on a drill does most of it.
2. Get high density gasket material the same diameter as the groove.
3. Measure the new gasket around the perimeter WITHOUT stretching.
4. Scotch tape where it will be cut on both ends, then cut with a new blade to make clean cuts with no fraying.
( The little bit of tape will be burnt off )
5. Wipe the groove with a damp rag (very little water !).
6. With your little finger wipe the gasket cement in the groove using just enough to coat lightly.
7. Starting at one end push the gasket into the groove all around ( it will only barely stay put ). Then close the door, and open, then close...

That's it. Be sure that NO cement seeps out of the groove.

P.S. Laphroaig is the 10 year one.:wink2:

Danka Logbutcher!

Alles ist gut.

Thanks for the advise. I was working all day, and then working on the stove all night. I took your advise and it worked well. That rope is difficult to work with the first time, but now I got the hang of it. Let me know when you want to stop by, I'll have a bottle of Laphroaig waiting! You like the 10 better than the 18?

:laugh:

Mark

Danka Logbutcher!
Alles ist gut.
Thanks for the advise. I was working all day, and then working on the stove all night. I took your advise and it worked well. That rope is difficult to work with the first time, but now I got the hang of it. Let me know when you want to stop by, I'll have a bottle of Laphroaig waiting! You like the 10 better than the 18?
:laugh:
Mark

Appreciate the reply Mark. Glad it worked out.
Yes, the 10 YO is better (and cheaper ! ) than the 18 YO or Cask Strength Laphroaig. The boat yard guy here agrees.

Latest posts

Back